Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

heater19
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

need help setting up HTPC

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:03 pm

apologise if this topic has already been discussed and resolved but I couldn't find the exact info I'm looking for;

anyway, I'm setting up my home office and will be ordering a 32" LCD TV soon, the PC is up and running;
what I would like to do is use the PC monitor to do all my PC stuff(e-mail, browsing, programming...), BUT, i would also like to watch videos that are on the PC harddrive on the TV...

I know I can output graphic card to the TV, but I think that would essentially put the desktop on the TV, what I would like is to output ONLY the video file to the TV, while leaving the desktop clear for my work,
streaming would work, but I'm already using a PS3 in the family room TV and don't want to buy another piece of hardware if i can get away with it; is there some software option in Media Player or VLC (or some similar app) that allows one to select a output pathway

thanks in advance

insulin_junkie72
Gerbil Elite

Re: need help setting up HTPC

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:15 pm

If you just want to play a video file fullscreen on a secondary display, that's usually pretty straightforward.

You could just extend (not clone) the Windows desktop to the secondary display, and for instance, in MPC-HC, you can choose to have video files displayed fullscreen and select which display to have them playback on.
Intel 4790K & Scythe Kotetsu | MSI Z97 PC Mate | 32GB DDR3L | Boot drive: Samsung 500GB 860EVO
Gigabyte GTX1060| Fractal Design R4 w/3x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200 PWM | Corsair RM550x

heater19
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: need help setting up HTPC

Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:19 pm

thanks, i knew i was overlooking something simple,

will try it out as soon as the TV arrives