Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: Portrait-Landscape-Portrait PLP with center 2560x1600

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:04 pm

Ok so I realize after much research that there are no 1600p 120 hz monitors. This is strange to me as you can get a 1080p 240 hz tv for your living room but can't get a 120 hz monitor for counter strike without getting a TN panel. :( At any rate it seems if you are considering 3D gaming you really have to compromise on monitor quality and that is quite frustrating.

Display port is royalty free and the best connector standard hands down but no one but high end products use it, this is so annoying as it can drive a 2560x1600 240 hz display if I'm not mistaken. That means it could conceivably drive a 4K display at 120 hz.

I understand we have bandwidth limitations with DVI duallink and HDMI, fine but why not embrace Display port and move past those then???

Seems the guys in high end computer user/gamer camps have money to burn but the industry isn't really ready to embrace them.

Also curious why we haven't seen a legit curved monitor out there yet, like what ostendo tried and failed to do with rear projection. Flexible displays have existed since I started college 10 years ago but we haven't seen any products created from them...

Should I start a 3D thread for multi monitor 3D or keep this going in the PLP thread here as it seems we've explored allot of other non PLP tripple monitor things...?

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:29 pm

Displayport only on high end? The bog-standard HP LA2405wg and LA2405x monitors I get for work here, crummy TN panels, all have displayport. They are only like $250 or so.

I'd seen some curved display stuff in the past but the tech never seemed to take off. Like, 3 panels and some specially-molded joints that hid the edges and gaps and just showed a continual blend. Stuff like http://www.seamlessdisplay.com/

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:47 pm

Scrotos wrote:
Displayport only on high end? The bog-standard HP LA2405wg and LA2405x monitors I get for work here, crummy TN panels, all have displayport. They are only like $250 or so./

Just my observation. I've purchased allot of monitors in the last 10 years and only 1 came with a display port on it. The defacto seems to be either DVI or HDMI.

Plus until the last gen or so Nvidia didn't put display ports on their mid range GPUs. AMD was the one pushing display port adoption.

I see it as the future hands down it just is the best period but its been a long painful road to adoption.

Its annoying to me when my living room has better anything than my pc.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:42 pm

Are there many AV receivers or TVs with DisplayPort? Will the next consoles have DisplayPort? I think it'll continue to get a better foothold in PCs but it's an uphill battle for consumer devices and that's where it really needs to take off for mass appeal.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 am

Scrotos wrote:
Are there many AV receivers or TVs with DisplayPort? Will the next consoles have DisplayPort? I think it'll continue to get a better foothold in PCs but it's an uphill battle for consumer devices and that's where it really needs to take off for mass appeal.

Well put, is display port HDCP compliant?

if it isn't it will likely never take off.

At any rate if display port doesn't take over for consumer devices then a new standard will have to emerge because HDMI is just not very good and can't support 4K resoluions.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:46 pm

Guys, imagine this PLP setup!

30" 1600P portrait, 52" 4K landscape, 30" 1600p portrait.

I know the pixel density is pretty uneven but having blended different densities before its not such a big deal.

Would be AWESOME! But would probably need 2 GPU's to push that.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:02 am

http://4urhomes.com/7792/cool-gaming-desks

Thought that was the coolest setup in a while. 

CrashTD
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am

Holy Zombie-Thread, Batman!

Except that it's still relevant. I'm looking for an upgraded PLP array myself, & don't understand why this option isn't more actively accommodated by manufacturers. I don't know an engineer, designer, drafter, or any other breed of graphics professional that doesn't prefer it. It puts the best/largest display right in your face with alt views & page-width references, tables & lists with maybe a running chess game & a chat window or two off to the sides & out of the way. A PLP array does all that without eating up 90" of desk-width that nobody has anyway. Cocking the portrait mode wings in by a very few degrees means sitting comfortably in place instead of rolling back & forth, or having the outer edges of the wings sticking clear out over half the desk & beyond it's edges.

When I'm at work I need a tool, not a toy. For eye candy, I can go home to a 5'7" blonde.