Most 3D Bang for the Buck.

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Most 3D Bang for the Buck.

Postposted on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:03 pm

I'd like to get some 3D into the house. The (4) 3D sources I have are PC games, PS3 Games, PS3 BluRay Movies and a HTPC BluRay Movies.

I wouldn't mind getting a Dell 3d set up and just plugging my PS3 and PC into it for on the desk gaming and occasional 3d movie.

On the other hand I think a smaller 3D TV could be muscled from the living room to the desktop as needed and then there is also the option of getting a 3D projector.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
--Shoki

Code: Select all
CONNECTION CHART

Monitor     Gaming PC / PS3
Small TV    Gaming PC / PS3
Projector   HTPC / PS3
Shoki
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: Most 3D Bang for the Buck.

Postposted on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:15 am

Three questions:

1. What's the size of your room?
2. What will be the viewing distance?
3. Will you be using your 3D setup for anything other than 3D gaming / 3D movie watching?

You mention a small PC monitor as well as a 3D projector in your post, so it's not entirely clear whether you will be desk-bound or watching/playing in a living room.

For living room use a Panasonic plasma is probably your ideal choice, unless you have an extremely large room where you can install a projector and a screen.

For desktop use, you could either use a small TV or a monitor. Right now there are two types of 3D LCD monitors/TVs available: active (using shutter glasses) or passive (using polarizing glasses). Active monitors may be more prone to persistent cross-talk, but the amount of cross-talk largely depends on how well the product is designed (how well the TV and the glasses are synchronized). You may also observe some flickering, especially if your room uses neon lighting. Passive monitors are supposedly free of cross-talk when viewed head-on, but the cross-talk free vertical viewing angle is very narrow, you have to position yourself quite carefully. Another downside of passive 3D monitors is that they effectively halve the vertical resolution in 3D mode.
Palek
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Visual Haven