Installing IGP driver on i5-2400 makes LED flicker.

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Installing IGP driver on i5-2400 makes LED flicker.

Postposted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:27 am

I recently made a PC for my brother in law. Configurations are as follows...
CPU = i5-2400
mobo = ASUS P8H61-M LX PLUS - ASUS P8H61-M PLUS
RAM = 4 GB Kingston 1333 MHZ
HDD = 1 TB Seagate
PSU = iball 450Watts (local make that came with PC case)
LED = LG 20"

Once the system was assembled, Windows 7 installation went smoothly in 10 mins.

Now comes the problem, as soon i installed the IGP driver, screen started to flicker randomly and even sometimes showed screen corruption.

Here is what i have checked till now...
1) I downloaded the latest driver and installed it once again, but no dice.
2) I reassembled the entire system but problem persist.
3) I have checked the temperature reading and everything looks normal. CPU is at 47 C ideal and at load goes to 60 C. Chip-set temperature remains at around 37 C - 44 C.
4) I manually forced the IGP to shoot no further than 1100MHZ thinking it might be overclocking more (IGPU boost), but that didn't help either.

I am unable to solve the issue and need your help.

One more thing, as soon as i uninstall the driver, the flickering and corruption goes away.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Jigar on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.8GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970 (Stock)| 12 GB RAM (Stock)| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60" @ 120 HZ.
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: Installing IGP driver on i5-2400 makes LED flicker.

Postposted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 am

I was going to ask you what type of video output you were using but checking the specs it looks like that particular motherboard only has VGA out (it also has COM, Parallel, and two PS/2 ports -- how very retro). So it seems likely there's some issue with the analog video signal -- it's out of spec as far as what the monitor can handle, or the monitor needs to be manually adjusted. It's been a while since I messed with fine-tuning VGA, and I know I've never done it with a Sandy Bridge IGP, so I don't know what options are available in your display settings for the analog output. But if it's trying to drive the monitor at a refresh rate it doesn't like (for example), you could see the symptoms you describe.

(There's a chance it's your no-name PSU -- cheap PSU + analog signals might produce this kind of problem once the video driver is pushing things hard, but I'd look into the display settings first)
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:49 am

UberGerbil wrote:I was going to ask you what type of video output you were using but checking the specs it looks like that particular motherboard only has VGA out (it also has COM, Parallel, and two PS/2 ports -- how very retro). So it seems likely there's some issue with the analog video signal -- it's out of spec as far as what the monitor can handle, or the monitor needs to be manually adjusted. It's been a while since I messed with fine-tuning VGA, and I know I've never done it with a Sandy Bridge IGP, so I don't know what options are available in your display settings for the analog output. But if it's trying to drive the monitor at a refresh rate it doesn't like (for example), you could see the symptoms you describe.

(There's a chance it's your no-name PSU -- cheap PSU + analog signals might produce this kind of problem once the video driver is pushing things hard, but I'd look into the display settings first)

1) Apologies for getting the mother board model number wrong, it's ASUS P8H61-M PLUS and it does have the DVI output which i have currently connected the LED with.
2) Yes, i do feel that PSU might be the culprit as well, i have a spare PSU lying around with me, so I'll check and get back.
Thanks.
Intel i5 4670K @ 4.8GHZ|ATI Radeon HD 7970 (Stock)| 12 GB RAM (Stock)| Xtreme Music with G500 5.1 | Panasonic "TH-L42E60" @ 120 HZ.
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:12 am

Did you make sure the refresh rate of the monitor wasn't set to something stupid low/high? 60Hz is where it probably should be at.
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:39 am

Ryhadar wrote:Did you make sure the refresh rate of the monitor wasn't set to something stupid low/high? 60Hz is where it probably should be at.

Yes, i have checked that as well, infact, i even tried the system with Other LCD as well but problem still persist.
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 am

When you verified the display refresh rate, did you look for it in the Windows control panel applet, or did you look for it in the Intel graphics utility?

Not sure about the newest stuff, but I know my CULV-based laptop has a separate Intel graphics utility that likes to live down in the system tray. Haven't had any problems with it, but several years ago I did fight several times with an ATi driver that would override the Windows refresh rate preference with a custom driver setting that was buried deep in ATi Submenu 17, just above the earth's core. It was quite maddening to chase that one out, because you could set the Windows refresh rate to whatever you wanted, and it would indicate that the new setting was active, but the display was stuck at 60Hz regardless.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:02 am

ludi wrote:When you verified the display refresh rate, did you look for it in the Windows control panel applet, or did you look for it in the Intel graphics utility?

Not sure about the newest stuff, but I know my CULV-based laptop has a separate Intel graphics utility that likes to live down in the system tray. Haven't had any problems with it, but several years ago I did fight several times with an ATi driver that would override the Windows refresh rate preference with a custom driver setting that was buried deep in ATi Submenu 17, just above the earth's core. It was quite maddening to chase that one out, because you could set the Windows refresh rate to whatever you wanted, and it would indicate that the new setting was active, but the display was stuck at 60Hz regardless.

I see what you are pointing at, the thing is i have tested the system on 15" LCD, 15" CRT, 22 LCD & 20 LED, the problem still persist.

Update: Changed the PSU with Corsair HX650 with zero luck. Plus did the bios update but that didn't help either. What am i missing ? :-?
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:27 pm

If you've also tried multiple driver revisions (assuming they exist), there's a very good possibility that you have a defective board. If there is only one driver revision available, then it could be the board or the driver.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:28 pm

ludi wrote:If you've also tried multiple driver revisions (assuming they exist), there's a very good possibility that you have a defective board. If there is only one driver revision available, then it could be the board or the driver.

Looks very much like that, because i took the entire system out of the case and ran it just to check if it had any kind of static issue, but that didn't help either. This might be the first time i have face any issue with ASUS mother boards. :(

The only thing now left to try is to nuke the windows and try something else, even if it runs fine on Window XP, i think i'll let it live as my brother in law is looking forward to get a new AMD 7*** graphic card in future.
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:49 am

So after lot of rechecking finaly the issue has been solved. THE DAM RAM sticks were not compatible with the mobo, weird, cause the system never showed a single sign of instability.

Changed the 4GB Ram from Hynix to Kingston and no more flickering.

Thanks every one for your suggestons :)
Jigar
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Return to Visual Haven