Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Adobe Lightroom 4 out today...with a new, lower price

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Lightroom 4 is out today, and the price has been dropped from previous editions -- $149 for the full version or $79 for the upgrade from Lightroom 3. Looks like a lot of retailers are out of stock at the moment if you want the box and disc, although that's to be expected on launch day, and those wanting to try or buy via download can get it directly from the Adobe website.

At that price, I might finally snag a copy. For quite a while I've been using PSE10 in tandem with Canon's DPP software that came with my camera, but it feels a bit kludgy in many ways.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JoJoBoy
Gerbil

Re: Adobe Lightroom 4 out today...with a new, lower price

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Bought LR 4 this morning with my student discount. Looking forward to a better solution than using my slew of software (Olympus Master 2, Photoplus X3, Gimp 2.6, PS 7.0) to play with my E-420 pics. Wondering how well the noise reduction will work on high ISO images too.
Antec P180 Mini | CPU:X4 955 BE | MB:Asus 785G | HD:SSD 64GB, Seagate 3TB | RAM:8GB | VGA:AMD 7950 | Sound:Z-5500 & Via Envy24 | Mouse:MX510 | LCD:Asus 27", LG 23" | OS:Win 7

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:44 am

At that price point Adobe seems to be muddling things up with Photoshop Elements.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:00 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
At that price point Adobe seems to be muddling things up with Photoshop Elements.

Maybe. Some retailers are still carrying PSE10 for $99 and PSE/Premier Elements bundle for $149, but prices on Amazon have dropped to $75 and $89 for those items, so perhaps Adobe has figured out that good cameras have become popular much faster than $200+ image editing utilities and is going to try the lower-price-higher-volume approach.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

gbcrush
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:09 pm

ludi wrote:
so perhaps Adobe has figured out that good cameras have become popular much faster than $200+ image editing utilities and is going to try the lower-price-higher-volume approach.

I'm good with that! :)

I've been lazy and just doing some basic selecting and editing in Picasa because it's pretty damn good at the tail end of my process (organizing and sharing photos), and putting more effort in would mean involving some kludgy mix of using Nikon's raw editor software and other programs, or buying a too-expensive copy of adobe something and having to deal with a much slower, less streamlined interface for a lot of power I don't need.

Now that lightroom seems cheaper though, I'm itching to give it a go. It's about time to dip my toes into RAW handling capability with less destructive editing, plus since it is focused on the photo-fixing/presentation aspect of things, rather than manipulation, it was my first choice out of "adobe somethings" to buy.

Any veterans have a tip for a beginner?
Sabina - i7-3930k | P9x79 Pro | PH-TC14PE w/ 2x TY-140 | 16GB DDR3-1600 1.25V | 2x Samsung 830 256GB | GTX680
Circe - Disconnected and Disconcerted