Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

3rd-party height adjustable monitor stands

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:47 am

The only thing stopping me from buying a cheap Korean 27" S-IPS display is that the stands they come with are truly awful; Unadjustable, wobbly AND misaligned.

I don't want to desk or wall mount my screen, but there appears to be an almost complete absence of the everyday height/tilt/rotate desk stands that come as standard with all decent monitors.
Ergotron make one, it's butt-ugly and really expensive.

Any other suggestions, or are these things as rare as rocking-horse poo?
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: 3rd-party height adjustable monitor stands

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:10 am

Here's one that's too small...

Part of it might be that getting all of that functionality is much easier with a proprietary stand, since it can be tailored to the specific weight, shape, and center of mass of the monitor...or close to it. Mounting from a desk or wall eliminates a lot of those issues because they don't have to stand freely. Monoprice has dozens of wall mounts, but only a few free standing ones.

So...might be as rare as rocking-horse poo.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

trackerben

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:12 am

Check the monitor you're looking at to see if it's a lightweight LED and has VESA 100mm mounts at the back. If so and if you're not averse to second-hand stuff, go to your local liquidator or surplus warehouse and look for used 19in HP, Compaq, or Dell 4:3 monitors manufactured from 2006-2010. Some of these office models come with what appear to be heavy but highly adjustable 100mm VESA stands with friction mounts. The HP L194x, L196x, and LA195x models are height-adjustable, rotatable through 120d, and even tiltable. The LCD monitors themselves are invariably 1280x1024 displays. Put it to work as secondary station for browsing, and smile at your cheap n' cheerful screen.
Last edited by trackerben on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:15 am

Yep.

Also too small
Hey guess what, this one is too small as well

I would have thought there was a market for this because so many stands on screens are rubbish, and almost all screens have VESA 100mm mounting holes. The height-adjust weight balance is no harder on a desk stand than it is on any of the wall or desk-mounted swing arms.

The surplus store is an option, but I work in IT and we have dozens of them leftover from Sharp/Dell/Samsung screens and none of them are VESA mounts, they're all proprietary :(
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

superjawes

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:24 am

Frankenstein one? If you can get a strong stand, you might be able to get a VESA bracket on there.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.