Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: How to convert coax analog to component or HDMI input?

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:11 pm

ludi wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
I gather your receiver doesn't have the conversion capability?

Yamaha RX-V473. And as near as I can tell it does not convert between video sources, it only switches them.

Nice receiver. But no, it will not upscale an analog video signal to HDMI out. I think this functionality starts at the v673 and up. However, you can still obviously use your receiver as a switch - you just need to run extra audio and video analog RCA (composite video and stereo audio) from the receiver to the TV - which I take it, you'd rather not do, hence the HDMI converter. I just hope you aren't disappointed with the performance of the HDMI converter... I guess you'll find out soon enough.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:37 pm

ludi wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
I gather your receiver doesn't have the conversion capability?

Yamaha RX-V473. And as near as I can tell it does not convert between video sources, it only switches them.

It doesn't look like it does. I found a couple of references to it specifically not supporting it. So the external converter may be your best bet.

--SS

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:45 am

The converter arrived and although it was supposed to be this unit, they either up-shipped or else updated the product because the one I got adds selectable 720/1080 conversion. The scaler quality is no better than the TV but that's not too surprising. It does have one notable fault: the SD source material is always converted to the HD aspect ratio. For the N64 that's actually a bit of an advantage when running 4-player split screen, so I'm content, but for VCR use it would be pretty poor.

Oddly enough I also found that the 8.xx version of AMD's Catalyst drivers would permit the HD4850 to output audio via HDMI converted out of the DVI port, the 12.xx drivers do not. So I ended up switching the PC over to optical audio via the Xonar DG, and discovered after no little head scratching and Goo-fu that although the Windows driver panel appears to enable the SPDIF output in the usual way, it only works if you open the Asus Xonar DG control applet and enable it there, also. Brilliant, Asus :evil:
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration