Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Qnix monitor and dual link dvi

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 am

I just got a dual link dvi driven qnix 27" 2560x1440 monitor on sale for my work computer. The mobo does not have a dual link port as I'm using integrated ivy bridge. Can I drive this display with an hdmi adapter? The mobo ports a VGA, hdmi, and dvi.

I'll post more system info in a little bit, typing on ipad please forgive the grammar.

EDIT: I have a display port! Can I do something with that???
Last edited by kamikaziechameleon on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

Re: Qnix monitor and dual link dvi

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 am

Not at full resolution.

Later versions of hdmi can support it, but all cheap converters are "dumb". You can find low profile fanless 6450s with a DL dvi and displayport for ~$20 on ebay sometimes if you just want 2D support.
TR RIP 7/7/2019

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:37 am

I looked at the cost of adapters and got this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used

Its passive and silent. Plus it does give me a slight boost in performance.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 am

I'd say you made the right choice. Active adapters cost nearly as much as a Radeon 7750. That's more than a slight boost in performance for games, though the most tangible benefit for a non-games application is that you'll not be using system memory for video anymore. Might give you a 2-3 fps boost in Excel. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'd say you made the right choice. Active adapters cost nearly as much as a Radeon 7750. That's more than a slight boost in performance for games, though the most tangible benefit for a non-games application is that you'll not be using system memory for video anymore. Might give you a 2-3 fps boost in Excel. :p

Ha, got a laugh out of the FPS in excell

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:22 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:

Don't laugh. There was a time when screen updates in Lotus/Excel were very troublesome.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

Don't laugh. There was a time when screen updates in Lotus/Excel were very troublesome.

Yeah, but then you got your Matrox Millennium PCI with 4 MB and the 4 MB upgrade of that wonderful dual-ported WRAM and even pimped it out with a Rainbow Runner for TV capabilities and you never looked back!

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Scrotos wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Yeah, but then you got your Matrox Millennium PCI with 4 MB and the 4 MB upgrade of that wonderful dual-ported WRAM and even pimped it out with a Rainbow Runner for TV capabilities and you never looked back!

I always got such a laugh when I saw video cards as being advertised as improving desktop performance. It always seemed so silly, though I know/knew there was some truth to it.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 am

Darn Straight, Vista was king of the desktop GPU bump.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm now building a new computer for my boss at work and wondering if there is a mobo out there that has a dual link DVI. The build will be a socket 1150 mobo. I can't find any that fit that requirement. Is looking a lost cause?

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:24 am

Some boards advertise "dual link DVI" but all of these "dual link DVI ports" only support resolutions up to 1920x1080.

If display port or HDMI is an option many boards support these connections at 2560x1440.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:16 am

kumori wrote:
Some boards advertise "dual link DVI" but all of these "dual link DVI ports" only support resolutions up to 1920x1080.

If display port or HDMI is an option many boards support these connections at 2560x1440.

HDMI is a strange standard because they keep updating it and its bandwidth but the HDMI 1.0 through 1.4 all look the same but drive totally different bandwidth. Only the most current standards that are 3D capable support Higher density displays. The gen before 3D is still the most prevalent cable type out there and so its a dubious proposition as to weather you have the right cable, card, and monitor to drive that resolution. Again the ports on these Korean monitors don't always have the necessary bandwidth anyways. I did find a new QNIX monitor for 30 more dollars has DP connection on the back. I'm using that for my bosses new computer.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:09 pm

The HDMI cables haven't changed- yet. An HDMI cable is still and HDMI cable. The standards that govern the signals have, sure, but they're still within the same TDMS scope that DVI works under; and only now are they being upgraded to the point that they can support resolutions that DVI has supported all along.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
The HDMI cables haven't changed- yet. An HDMI cable is still and HDMI cable. The standards that govern the signals have, sure, but they're still within the same TDMS scope that DVI works under; and only now are they being upgraded to the point that they can support resolutions that DVI has supported all along.

Oh,ok :D