Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tripod recommendation

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Could anyone recommend a tripod(s)? Nikon D610 will be used on it.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Tripod recommendation

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:35 pm

It really depends on a couple of things:

What is your budget?

What will it be used for?

As someone who has greatly enjoyed shooting wildlife at long focal lengths, the common wisdom (which is correct) is that the heavier the better. If you are going to take it backpacking, you do not want to follow this.

If you have a decent budget, you cannot go wrong with Manfrotto tripods. They are awfully expensive (can easily run to $1,000 for a tripod and head) but are awfully nice. You can also go with Slik, who is often disrespected, but they are a quality manufacturer. I found one off of shopgoodwillonline that I naled for $34 and I am thrilled about it.

But, once you have your budget sorted and we know what you will use it for, we could make some good recommendations.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Hell, I'm here too- kits in sig.

Looking for a sturdy tripod that can invert it's center column, weight not being an issue (heavier -> more calories burned), that is adaptable for light macro use with different heads/plates. Looking for a ball head that can handle my 6D, gripped, with a future 70-200/2.8L + extender and/or a 100-400L. Solid panning ability is a must, as is portrait handling. I'd like to keep the package at $400, but would stretch to $600 or more dependent on the ability to meet my requirements.

This is not as easy as it seems :).

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:00 pm

I have a Manfrotto 190XB that I use with my Canon 7D. Manfrotto is an excellent tripod manufacturer, and I'm very pleased with the 190XB. This particular model is a nice compromise between something heavy duty enough to make me feel safe putting my 7D on it, but light enough that it doesn't completely break my back when I tote it on a hike. It's a good starting point for you to look at Manfrotto tripods.

Don't underestimate the value of a light tripod. A friend of mine has a very heavy tripod that works great, but even though he's built like a tank and stronger than most people I know, the tripod is still too cumbersome to pack on any hike and we end up taking my tripod instead.
Last edited by FireGryphon on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:03 pm

It will be used at home or during trip by car so weight is not my concern. The heaviest lens to be used would be 70-300/f4.5-5.6G IF-ED. It is hard for me to grab a number for the budget but since it is for $3000 camera it may be somewhere up to around $700.

Geonerd
Gerbil First Class

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:33 pm

IMO, $700 is overkill and a half.
That said, at your price point you might give Really Right Stuff a look.
I've spotted a few in the wild, and got to kick the tires on one. The quality is absolutely superb, and they are even built here in the US! Even if you pass on their tripods, consider their bomb-proof heads, handy leveling bases, and quick-release gadgets.

churin
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:44 pm

I have been to BestBuy and the most expensive one they carry is Sunpak PRO 423PX for $140. I googled for tripod and one of those expensive one found is Vangard USA abeoPlus for $530. I wonder what extra I get by paying $400 more. Do I get better picture in the way I will be using the tripod?

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:05 pm

I would go with the Slik 700DX. Its an excellent tripod for ~$140. Actually, just checked amazon that and that is the price. Its an excellent tripod and if you aren't using a tripod all of the time, and aren't going to pack it backpacking, it's 11 pounds will be nicely stable in a wind. Sliks also have a quick release system that is a bit funky, but I found is very handy. When I have the budget, I'll go up to a Manfrotto MVK500.

http://www.amazon.com/700DX-Professional-Tripod-Panhead-615-315/dp/B0002EXF38/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385870469&sr=8-2&keywords=slik+tripod
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:13 pm

In addition to a conventional tripod, you may want to consider the Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom mini flexible tripod. It's cool for location you camera in unusual places, or if you simply want to have a mini-tripod around.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... _Mini.html

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:25 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
I would go with the Slik 700DX. Its an excellent tripod for ~$140. Actually, just checked amazon that and that is the price. Its an excellent tripod and if you aren't using a tripod all of the time, and aren't going to pack it backpacking, it's 11 pounds will be nicely stable in a wind. Sliks also have a quick release system that is a bit funky, but I found is very handy. When I have the budget, I'll go up to a Manfrotto MVK500.

http://www.amazon.com/700DX-Professional-Tripod-Panhead-615-315/dp/B0002EXF38/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385870469&sr=8-2&keywords=slik+tripod

Tripod may be fine, but that head... yeah.

You want a ballhead for a semi-pro body (7D+, D7100+, A77+, etc...) and a real lens combo.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:22 am

I bought a RRS ball head. A BH 30 and I am very pleased with it. RRS is never cheap ;(

Cell phone special, yeah the tripod is called the "Cougar Swatter" and gets around. ;)
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Geonerd
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:21 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
I would go with the Slik 700DX. Its an excellent tripod for ~$140.

NOOOO!!!!!

I've got two of them. The oldest, purchased perhaps 11 years ago is a bomb-proof workhorse. It's somewhat heavy by today's standards, but has survived monsoonal storms, innumerable dings and drops, and even one swan dive off the cliffs of Bryce. The design, if well executed, is rigid, easy to work with, and reliable.

The more recent example, purchased ~7 years back, is a fragile POS. The nylon bushings that act as sliding bearings at each leg extension point have proven to be insanely fragile. Twice, I've been gently extending a leg when the whole thing came off in my hand. Springs, spacers, and bits of shattered plastic fly everywhere! It's quite spectacular, if rather maddening. This tripod has never been abused, yet it spontaneously explodes at every opportunity. Spare parts are available, but ridiculously expensive, given what you're buying and the likelihood of a repeat failure. It seems that the Bean Counters at Slik went with cheaper parts, resulting in a physically solid, but uselessly unreliable product. AVOID! FWIW, I've sworn off Slik for life.

As mentioned, the stock tilt/pan head that comes as an option with the 700DX is sturdy and functional, but Flintstonian in design and weighs half a ton. Get a ball-grip or appropriately sized tilt/pan head from another company! I have two Manfrotto ball grip heads, and older 222 vertical unit, as well as a fairly recent 322RC2 which I like a lot.