HDMI Cables

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

HDMI Cables

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:26 pm

I found a few really good deals on Rosewill HDMI Cables, and I want to know thoughts before I grab a bunch of them. They seem pretty thick, but not AS thick as some of the much pricier ones. So, Do you get what you pay for in the case of HDMI cables?
JawesomeArt
Gerbil

Re: HDMI Cables

Postposted on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:46 am

Hdmi is digital. Therefore you should not really be able to see or hear any difference between cables. That being said the build quality on some cheaper cables can make a difference. Lately I have been buying C2G cables off amazon. They are not the cheapest, but for their price they are the best I have come accross.
Gandolf
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:31 am

JawesomeArt wrote:I found a few really good deals on Rosewill HDMI Cables, and I want to know thoughts before I grab a bunch of them. They seem pretty thick, but not AS thick as some of the much pricier ones. So, Do you get what you pay for in the case of HDMI cables?

I wouldn't touch any HDMI cable anymore that did not employ Redmere (such as the monoprice offerings). Having a nice superthin and flexible cable for a modest price increase over a regular cable is well worth it.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:05 pm

The only difference between cheap and expensive HDMI cables is the signal quality over longer distances. The more expensive cables use lower-resistance materials like gold contants and oxygen-free copper and add EMI shielding but this is completely unnecessary for cable lengths under about 10 feet - even the cheapest $1 made-in-china bundled freebie cables are adequate for short distances.

If you're buying a 25-foot cable or longer, the more expensive cables are worth considering if you'll be running near lots of other sources of interference, but since they're so needlessly overpriced, it's still often worth just trying a cheap cable first.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:16 pm

i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:27 pm

I've had some bad experiences with cheap cables not being able to transmit the signal sufficiently cleanly, with some rather bad artefacts as a consequence. But, that said, with HDMI being a digital signal, it will either work, or be pretty obvious in its failings (and I was able to get a refund, thanks to Australia's "fit for purpose" laws.)
sjl
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:53 am

I've never been steered wrong with ANY cable I bought from Monoprice. You cant beat their prices and their quality!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:28 pm

tanker27 wrote:I've never been steered wrong with ANY cable I bought from Monoprice. You cant beat their prices and their quality!

Their shipping can get a bit pricy however if you are outside of the US. Just ordered about $200 worth of cables and shipping was $50
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:39 pm

tanker27 wrote:I've never been steered wrong with ANY cable I bought from Monoprice. You cant beat their prices and their quality!

They've been a bit hit-or-miss for me. I've bought a micro-USB and a TOSlink cable from them; the USB cable is loose on the micro end and loses connexion when the phone shifts, and the TOSlink cable didn't connect at all. Other stuff I've bought from them was good, though.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:18 pm

bthylafh wrote:

They've been a bit hit-or-miss for me. I've bought a micro-USB and a TOSlink cable from them; the USB cable is loose on the micro end and loses connexion when the phone shifts, and the TOSlink cable didn't connect at all. Other stuff I've bought from them was good, though.

Doesn't matter who's cable you get, micro-USB/mini-USB connectors are iffy on the best of days. They are just a poorly designed plug.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Deanjo wrote:Doesn't matter who's cable you get, micro-USB/mini-USB connectors are iffy on the best of days. They are just a poorly designed plug.

At least with micro-USB it is the connector on the cable that tends to go bad instead of the one on the device. (This is in fact explicitly the reason the micro-USB connector was created -- they figured out that they screwed up when they designed the mini-USB connector.)
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Return to Visual Haven