LCD Projector

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

LCD Projector

Postposted on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Hi all,

I am now in the market to find a good value front projector for home theater. I vowed to not show my son any Star Wars movies until I revived my theater (old standard def projector bulb worth more than projector, so it is DEAD, Jim). He is of age to see it, and I have the old unaltered version on LaserDisk. Granted I will be using HD for most sources, this is one of the few that will be down-sized so at least Han Solo shoots first.

I would love to hear your experiences and recommendations. What hurts is I will also need a new surround receiver also as the one I have is only standard def. This will be used mostly for movies, as the HTPC is connected to the TV to watch shows and other garbage I refuse to waste a good bulb on. Also recommendations on that wouldn't hurt as well. Trying to keep both under 2K.

Word of caution: I used to be a nut about practical audiophile, but I retired from that 10+ years ago once I no longer had neighbors to annoy. I just hope my home-brew speakers have not moldered in the basement and lost their pizzaz.
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: LCD Projector

Postposted on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Oh forgot to mention I don't care about 3D, not do I have any disks with that support. This is the one I am leaning towards:
http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasoni ... ctor/26856
Never been much of a fan of DLP, I can see the color flashes when looking across a 110" screen. I suspect that has improved a lot over the past few years though.
liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Well, half the joy of home-brew speakers at least is that you can cheaply and easily replace the actual drivers!
Sadly I know little about projectors these days. 720p is cheap as dirt, 1080p still commands a hefty pricetag.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 pm

No particular experience with projectors, however after looking at your preferred specs, the first thing I went looking for was this:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/resource ... -guide.asp
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Epson was selling some refurbished 8350 projectors for $899. The thing is, they came with the same 2-year warranty as the retail/new models. Probably still one of, if not the best, performing LCD home theater projectors for $1200 (if not $1500) or less. If you can find a similar deal, then that's probably what I would go for, if not interested in 3D
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:Well, half the joy of home-brew speakers at least is that you can cheaply and easily replace the actual drivers!
Sadly I know little about projectors these days. 720p is cheap as dirt, 1080p still commands a hefty pricetag.

To me, 1080p under $1500 is pretty cheap. I went with the first sub-$1.5k 1080p that hit the market (Mitsubishi), and have been happy with it for.. what, 5 years now? Black is gray and brightness isn't great, but it does its job on the cheap, plus it's whisper quiet. After having an older 720p projector that was louder than 290X on Uber, I realize I'm willing to sacrifice a lot for having a quiet projector. It's sitting right above your head, and if it's loud, it's a huge distraction
NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Return to Visual Haven