Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

thorz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Asus PA248Q monitor: Still a good choice?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi

I am searching for a new monitor. My 5 years old NEC Multisync LCD2690WUXi got stuck in portrait mode. I am guessing that the position sensor got busted and nothing appears to fix it.

I have being eyeing the PA248Q based on comments on the december System Guide on TR where it says that Geoff has 3 of the older PA246Q models that are from the same line. I will be using this monitor as my main screen and will connect a gaming console and a PC into it. My main uses will be gaming, movies and general work (web, file administration, etc.).

I have read some posts praising this monitor on these forums but have found reports about backlight bleeding and quality inconsistency that I would surely want to avoid if Asus' folks are really having problems with their QC process.

Is this screen still a good choice? I will need good guarantee support in case I need it so the cheap Korean panels are out of the picture, that's the reason for going for a recognised manufacturer. I am located in Europe.

Thanks.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Asus PA248Q monitor: Still a good choice?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Can you use the OS to override the orientation settings? That may be the cheapest option.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

thorz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Can you use the OS to override the orientation settings? That may be the cheapest option.

Good idea thanks, but the thing appears to be fried now.
I still want opinions about this Asus monitor.

thorz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:57 pm

Decided to go instead for the PB248Q as it has been reported that its newer than the PA and has a slightly better panel. I was thinking on backlight bleeding issues reported with the PA248Q.

I hope I enjoy this screen and that it is what I was needing.