Women see things differently!

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Women see things differently!

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:04 am

http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/archiv ... exist.html

I had some idea before that men and women had a somewhat different worldview (men focus on stuff in a scene whereas women tend to take the whole scene in) but the revelations in this article are mind blowing! Does this mean that guys who get nauseous from viewing 3D or virtual reality have some sort of male hormone deficiency??? Could be a great way to diagnose this problem.
Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Re: Women see things differently!

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:42 am

Some interesting stuff in that linked blog post, but I think it is still a bit premature to declare this a done deal. Further studies (which I hope someone decides to do!) are needed.

My own theory: I think men may be more likely to get distracted by the "gee whiz" aspect of the tech. Maybe this distraction helps prevent the motion sickness from kicking in.

If there's anything to this, it could have some pretty serious implications for Facebook's latest plan for world domination! :lol:

And some anecdotal supporting evidence (exactly one data point): My wife has always claimed that 3D anything "just doesn't work" for her.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:55 am

Eh, I don't know. I think individuals are simply different.

Example: I can close my eyes and navigate our very small house without having to open them. My g/f can't. I can accurately gauge the measured distance from myself to an object, or from object-to-object, but my g/f has no clue. This jives with the common thinking that males have better depth perception and sense of spacial relationships than females.

However... I am also better than my g/f at describing colors and shapes and differences between 2 similar objects. And she's something of an artist, having sold thousands of dollars worth of her paintings and sketches over the years.

However #2... I completely suck at the corner 3, the shortest 3-point shot in basketball. I'm much better shooting from the top of the key or even elbow-extended, longer 3-pointers than in the corner. Why? Because my depth perception in that case stinks. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm sure that thousands and thousands of years of evolution and differences in upbringing have influenced the visual tendencies of the sexes.
Yeats
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:43 am

What a stupid article.

Men and women are different - biologically, physiologically and mentally. If anything, evolution is sexist. Nature is sexist.
LASR
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:57 am

LASR wrote:What a stupid article.

Men and women are different - biologically, physiologically and mentally. If anything, evolution is sexist. Nature is sexist.

Then that decides it. We need to renounce science!

Most competitive video game players are also men, I wonder if that is for similar reasons. I've noticed that a lot of top players have extremely high visual acuity. I'm male and the optician tells me I have better much than average eyesight but I still fail to spot things that the top players can, presumably the brain processing and filtering is where the difference is.

It has often been said that women have better peripheral vision than men too, I'm not sure if there is anything to back that up.
4670K@4.5GHz | Asus Z87-A | G.Skill 8GB 2400MHz CL10 | GTX 660 2GB | Samsung 840 120GB |Thermalright Macho | Lancool PC-K59
puppetworx
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Interesting article.

Let's assume (for arguments sake) that after more research it is found that her theories are correct (men decipher 3D using motion parallax, women use Shape-from-shading). From her article she says
which for a computer is a piece of cake—to render motion parallax properly
and
As a result, 3D graphics does a terrible job of truly emulating shape-from-shading

Now, admittedly, I've never heard of these things before and have no idea what's involved in the coding but assuming that computers rendering in motion parallax IS sexist, is she advocating that we purposely switch to a more difficult, resource sucking and inefficient method of displaying 3D? That seems counter-intuitive to everything in the world about finding efficiencies. And once that happens, won't that be sexist to men? And won't men be the driving force behind VR (for video games)?
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered
Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:15 pm

Well, on the upside, if this theory turns out to be correct, then the problem should diminish as lighting models continue to become more realistic.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:28 pm

puppetworx wrote:Most competitive video game players are also men, I wonder if that is for similar reasons. I've noticed that a lot of top players have extremely high visual acuity. I'm male and the optician tells me I have better much than average eyesight but I still fail to spot things that the top players can, presumably the brain processing and filtering is where the difference is.

It has often been said that women have better peripheral vision than men too, I'm not sure if there is anything to back that up.

I think the environment of online gaming has more to do with the minimal female presence in competitive gaming than any biological factors.

Why are there far more CEOs that are men than women? Politicians? Clergy? I ascribe that more to environment than to females processing data differently.

Anecdotal sources: working the online and in person QuakeCon competitions for a few years, helping run an online gaming league/ladder, heck even working in a ladder with Hellchick when she was a community liaison with activision back in the day. Plus 15 years of online fps gaming and seeing how females get treated in-game.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:17 pm

I'd like to see them do a study on handedness of the person (Left, balanced and Right) since different parts of the brain are used for controlling each side.

I used an Oculus Rift on the weekend (my sons school fete had 2 1st gen dev kits they were selling time on). My impressions are the same as 6 months before, too much screen door and lagged graphics, its like watching a CRT TV with a bad signal through a screen door. Lots of the kids fell over while doing things in game and the girls screamed the most. The roller coaster is kind of cool if your standing up, but boring when sitting down.
SN95G5v3/A64 3500+ 2.2ghz@1.2v 800mhz@0.8v/1gb Geil UltraX/Seagate 250gb/Seagate 320gb/Liteon DVD/XFX 6600GT/2x2005FPW
Rainbows lie in corded knots
While thunder wakes the sleeping crocs.
dragmor
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:27 am

Scrotos wrote:
puppetworx wrote:Most competitive video game players are also men, I wonder if that is for similar reasons. I've noticed that a lot of top players have extremely high visual acuity. I'm male and the optician tells me I have better much than average eyesight but I still fail to spot things that the top players can, presumably the brain processing and filtering is where the difference is.

I think the environment of online gaming has more to do with the minimal female presence in competitive gaming than any biological factors.

Why are there far more CEOs that are men than women? Politicians? Clergy? I ascribe that more to environment than to females processing data differently.

Environment and conditioning play some part, but it's probably much more minor than we've been led to believe. The majority of differences in behavior/personality/traits are hardwired into the brain. If it were simply a matter of "environment", you wouldn't see the same roles and behaviors expressed for thousands of years across wildly different cultures which are completely isolated from each other. Think about colonial times when hundreds or maybe even thousands of different island cultures were discovered.

Common lack of interest in gaming is likely just a symptom of those core differences.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Tue May 06, 2014 11:29 am

I don't think the "girls don't like gaming" generalization is correct, it's more a matter of "girls don't seek out the same kinds of gaming that boys tend to like."

Even from an early age, without obvious environmental forcing, boys tend to seek out competitive activities with violent overtones to prove their social standing, then organize as necessary to obtain a structured game; while girls tend to socialize and organize into cooperative groups first, then compete within those groups for social standing. Similar needs and motivations, but notably different approaches to getting there.

Videogames have traditionally been developed by men for a primarily male audience, so it's not too surprising that women would have been less attracted to the medium -- not because they can't or won't enjoy the medium, but because very few developers were designing games from a female perspective. That's changing now that everybody and their dog has a smartphone.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Return to Visual Haven