Looking for a New TV

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Looking for a New TV

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:31 pm

Basically looking in the 40" to 48" range and $800 as a preferred upper limit. Preferably LED/LCD, smart, 1080p & energy star qualified.

Sony's new KDL line looks pretty decent.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Re: Looking for a New TV

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:45 pm

I don't know if the prices are similar, but check out Vizio. We have two and they have been great, and they have this LED Smart model for $650 USD.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:13 pm

I went for an LG 42" smart last summer based on they are one of the few with IPS screens in that size range.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm sure it's all regional but Samsungs and LGs are usually heavily discounted across Europe.

I wouldn't get to focussed on one model - Even with a brand like LG/Philips who manufacture IPS panels, they can (and do) outsource from companies like CMO and AU Optronics so you're not guaranteed an IPS panel even from LG or Philips. My current Samsung, for example, has a Sharp panel in it, which is VA-based with IGZO I think. I didnt' know this at the time though. What convinced me to buy that was to look at the picture quality in person. I looked for deep blacks, uniform backlight and 100/120Hz support @1080p. Everything else was secondary to me.

My general advice for a new TV is to define your budget and size first, then eliminate which TVs you don't want for input or feature shortcomings.
Once you've done that make a shortlist of models and head down to a large store that will price-match the web and has at least three or four models on your shortlist. View them in the flesh, and pick the one you're happiest with.

Will that get you the perfect TV? No.
Will that get you a TV that's probably better for you than 95% of the TV's you could have blindly bought over the internet? Yes.

Don't get too hung up on making the perfect choice, because in five years it'll be obsolete anyway. As long as you get a good deal and you like it better than your old TV you have won the game.
I hear rig lists are all the rage, and I <3 the rage! Workstation = Black tower thing; HTPC = Shhhh!; Laptop - AMAZING FOLDING PC!
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:08 pm

I've had pretty good luck with a 48" LG.

See if something in your price range includes WirelessHD. Being able to stream HD wirelessly from PC or set-top box to a TV is pretty cool. I'm pretty sure it's HDCP compliant, too.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:30 pm

I honestly wouldn't buy a "smart" TV unless there is some OMG feature you want/need. A 99 dollar, or less, Roku serves me much better than those features.

Having said that, take a look at the LG WebOS tv's . Image quality is plenty good and you get all the features you want.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... smart.html

edit: amazon link if you want it http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55 ... B00II6VW3M
Main: i7 4790K - Z97 mATX - 16GiB DDR3 1866 - GTX 970 - 256GB 850 PRO - 500GB 840 EVO - HGST 3TB - U2415 - Win8 Pro x64
Work/Play: 2012 13" Macbook Air
Work: 2014 Dell Inspiron 7000
DancinJack

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Get a TV that can display 1080p24 and 1080p60 for good video playback. Don't bother with all of the "Smart TV" stuff. That's all inside your TiVo, anyway. You just need the TV to work as a good monitor.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 pm

Guys, all TVs are going "smart". Soon, you won't be able to avoid them. So saying "avoid Smart" may not be as helpful as you think you are being. :)

I was in the evil Best Buy today and saw some nice Vizio (I never remember how to spell it) models. I saw some TVs that had curved screens, and I've decided that I don't like them curved.

I also saw some Vizio models in the 60", 70", and (I think) 80" sizes; bigger than what the OP wants, I know. But I have the fever now... :oops: I only have a 30" Westinghouse panel right now, so maybe that's why the big screens caught my attention. I had no idea that a 60" screen could be had for under $1,000!

My only problem now is the ORIGINAL PROBLEM. And that is that Hollywood keeps making so much crap I don't want to see. Sure, the TV is bigger, more clear, brighter. But do I really need to see the same old crap bigger, brighter, and more clearly? :(
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:22 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:Get a TV that can display 1080p24 and 1080p60 for good video playback. Don't bother with all of the "Smart TV" stuff. That's all inside your TiVo, anyway. You just need the TV to work as a good monitor.

Thanks I will keep my eyes open for the specs for 24p and 60p. Up here in Canada so get the cable box from the provider.

It will basically be for cartoons for the kids and netflix for the kids. Wife and I don't really watch TV much, like about 4 hrs a month, not much point in the tivo up here.
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:36 pm

DancinJack wrote:I honestly wouldn't buy a "smart" TV unless there is some OMG feature you want/need. A 99 dollar, or less, Roku serves me much better than those features.

Having said that, take a look at the LG WebOS tv's . Image quality is plenty good and you get all the features you want.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... smart.html

edit: amazon link if you want it http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55 ... B00II6VW3M

A bit more money up here in Canada
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... ae2932en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... a38b41en02 (so $350 more in Canada, nice)

And that does not include the eco fee or 13% sales tax.
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:14 pm

BIF wrote:Guys, all TVs are going "smart". Soon, you won't be able to avoid them. So saying "avoid Smart" may not be as helpful as you think you are being. :)

I was in the evil Best Buy today and saw some nice Vizio (I never remember how to spell it) models. I saw some TVs that had curved screens, and I've decided that I don't like them curved.

I also saw some Vizio models in the 60", 70", and (I think) 80" sizes; bigger than what the OP wants, I know. But I have the fever now... :oops: I only have a 30" Westinghouse panel right now, so maybe that's why the big screens caught my attention. I had no idea that a 60" screen could be had for under $1,000!

My only problem now is the ORIGINAL PROBLEM. And that is that Hollywood keeps making so much crap I don't want to see. Sure, the TV is bigger, more clear, brighter. But do I really need to see the same old crap bigger, brighter, and more clearly? :(

There are still plenty of choices right now. I do however love your suggestions in this post.
Main: i7 4790K - Z97 mATX - 16GiB DDR3 1866 - GTX 970 - 256GB 850 PRO - 500GB 840 EVO - HGST 3TB - U2415 - Win8 Pro x64
Work/Play: 2012 13" Macbook Air
Work: 2014 Dell Inspiron 7000
DancinJack

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:47 am

anotherengineer wrote: Up here in Canada so get the cable box from the provider.
Ugh. You're locked into your provider's tuner box. In the U.S., we have Cablecard.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:21 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
anotherengineer wrote: Up here in Canada so get the cable box from the provider.
Ugh. You're locked into your provider's tuner box. In the U.S., we have Cablecard.

Yes sir locked into their box. Plugging the cable directly into the TV will get close to 50 channels, but yes have to use the box for HD and most of the other stuff, and it's mostly all junk shows. If it wasn't for the wife and Kids I would cancel the cable TV all together.

At least I can use my own router, with the other guys (Bell FibreOP) can't even use my own router with their default setup. I have seen some cases where people have 'hacked' them or altered the settings in such a way as to provide a work around to get them to work, but I can't be bothered.

The main reason I would prefer a smart/net TV, cause I might pull the plug on the coax in the future.
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Return to Visual Haven