"No Signal" laptop connected to Epson projector via HDMI

What you see is what you get, including photography, displays, and video equipment.

Moderators: Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

"No Signal" laptop connected to Epson projector via HDMI

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:20 pm

I have an old Acer laptop (3820TG) that I'm trying to connect to an Epson EX7210 projector via HDMI. I don't usually have issues dong things like this, but I had to give up after about 45 minutes of scratching my head and trying the same things over and over.

I am able to connect to the projector via laptop's VGA port (RGB input on projector) and get it to display properly.
When I connect the laptop and projector via HDMI, the laptop seems to recognize that an external display has been connected as a second display is detected in the graphics settings.
When I connect the laptop to various TVs via HDMI it works flawlessly (unfortunately no other HDMI projectors to try at the moment).

However, with HDMI, all I get from the projector is "No Signal".

Does anyone with experience with connecting projectors to PCs via digital sources think this could be due to something like incompatible source refresh rates or resolutions?' When the projector is detected by the laptop's GPU, it indicates that it is a 1920x1080 display. However, native resolution of the projector is something like 1280x8xx. Is this indicative of any incompatibility?

Internet searches on this did not turn up anything useful.

Any quick ideas?
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Re: "No Signal" laptop connected to Epson projector via HDMI

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:28 pm

i misread part of the post and now realize what i said was already addressed, so, disregard this
Last edited by godforsaken on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godforsaken
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Why not set the resolution to 1280x800? Or try playing with different display modes by pressing [WindowsKey] + [P] ?
Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:51 pm

Duct Tape Dude wrote:Why not set the resolution to 1280x800? Or try playing with different display modes by pressing [WindowsKey] + [P] ?

I've tried all of the WindowsKey+P options multiple times (and also these settings enabled via the laptop's function keys). I would have tried to set the output resolution to the native resolution of the projector, but I didn't have the option for that specific resolution (only for 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions), nor did I find a way to select this resolution in more advanced graphics display settings.

Also, I tried enabling HDTV support and selecting 720p mode in the graphics driver, but this didn't help.

I just don't get how such compatibility (or configuration) issues arise with HDMI...
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:38 pm

cynan wrote:I've tried all of the WindowsKey+P options multiple times (and also these settings enabled via the laptop's function keys). I would have tried to set the output resolution to the native resolution of the projector, but I didn't have the option for that specific resolution (only for 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions), nor did I find a way to select this resolution in more advanced graphics display settings.

Also, I tried enabling HDTV support and selecting 720p mode in the graphics driver, but this didn't help.

I just don't get how such compatibility (or configuration) issues arise with HDMI...

Impressive and odd... I've never had issues with HDMI reporting supported resolutions. I know that the nvidia control panel sometimes has an option for custom resolutions... but I'm not sure if that's really a viable fix (and I don't know if you have an nvidia GPU). You might try running Windows Update with the monitor connected--sometimes WU finds a .inf file for specific monitors. But that's a real crapshoot.

This one is beyond me. Hopefully someone else here can show how it's done.
Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Have you got any other HDMI sources to try out with the projector? It's possible that the HDMI input on the projector itself is screwed up somehow. IME HDMI has worked more or less automagically. The only times I've run into trouble were due to flaky connections -- right now I'm dealing with this on a conference room where the AV installer decided to try and run HDMI over 100m CAT6 with passive adapters. :evil:
Thrashdog
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Thrashdog wrote:Have you got any other HDMI sources to try out with the projector? It's possible that the HDMI input on the projector itself is screwed up somehow.

This, assuming you have been through all the projector's settings and verified that the HDMI input isn't locked out somehow. If the new source still detects an incompatible resolution and/or the projector won't pick it up, then you may need a firmware upgrade for the projector.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Probably either an issue with the projector not sending out valid/compatible configuration info (EDID) over HDMI, or perhaps an incompatible setting the the GPU prefs.

Suggest updating GPU drivers if you haven't already, as well as tinkering with the settings in the GPU control app. Especially toggling the "Pixel Format" option to whatever it's not currently on, as well as color space (0-255 vs 16-235) - sometimes AV inputs are super picky, and you have to try to do what you can to get the PC to behave like a consumer electronics device rather than a PC.

If none of the above brings any joy, you might want to track down the EDID master at avsforum ("Tully", I believe? Search for "custom EDID" or "broken EDID" and you should find him rather easily.) He's helped hundreds of people fix weird EDID issues.
divide_by_zero
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Return to Visual Haven