Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

New AIO cooler TIM and SSD

Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:51 am

Well my 3.5+ year old H50 just is not up to snuff anymore, and with its aluminum radiator and copper cooling plate after that period in time I am sure the micro fins have to have some corrosion or particles stuck in them since it has not been cooling like it used to with my 2 120mm Cougar Vortex push pull fans " that work great BTW" Plus the fact that some coolant has had to evaporated over the years so time for a new cooler for my 2600k.

I went with the Cooler Master Nepton 140XL that is equipped with a 37mm thick 140mm rad, 2 122CFM Jeyflow fans with 3.5 inches of static pressure that makes them very good to get lots of air through the thick radiator. A very powerful pump head that has a great micro fin design that frosty tech says is larger then any DIY they have seen, along with the largest diameter tubing for a AIO on the market. Since my 2600k has a Soldered on IHS and every review I read where they tested it on Sandy CPU it out performed pretty much everything.
I also picked up some Antech Diamond formula 7 TIM to use when I mount it since it has stellar review with 10-30c temp drops from TIM replacement only....I am sure the 20-30c reports were bad TIM application or cooler mounting but I sure hope not:) I plan on also using it on my 2 EVGA GTX 770 Classifieds so I will let you know how much my temps have fallen on my CPU and more so on the GPU's since that will really tell me how good the diamond stuff is.

I Also picked up a AMD Radeon 240GB SSD and a USB to SATA3 adapter so I can do a quick clone of my slow Kingston 128GB SSD.

Fun times Ahead, wish me luck and I will update in a few days :P
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Re: New AIO cooler TIM and SSD

Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Figured I would post a update,
My SSD is working great with 500+ reads and writes.

My Coolermaster Nepton 140XL with its extra thick radiator and cooling lines, Heavy duty pump with a great micro channel fin copper coldplate and 2 X 2200RPM 140mm Jetflo fans is not letting my CPU break 65c with it running at 4915mhz. But now that I moved the Computer into the other room and out of the closet the 140mm Jetflo fans were so ungodly loud at full speed it was unbearable. Turns out my GB P67-UD4-B3 MB has only 2 4pin adjustable fan connectors, the CPU fan header right above the CPU socket and the sys fan #2 that is all the way at the bottom of my board and there is no way the fan power cable will reach it and my Sentry 2 fan controller does not have enough power per channel to make then run all the time. When I hooked one up to it the fan would spin up to just about full speed then stop and speed up again over and over.

So I was lucky to notice the fan splitter I had from somewhere would work so I quickly installed it on the CPu fan header and set my Bios to normal fan control. now I have Idle temps between 25-30c, the same as when the fans were spinning at 2200+ rpms but the fans are now inaudible running at 680-700rpms and they do not rise above that speed unless the CPU is getting used above 75%. Then the fans spin up to 12-1500rpm and become pretty noticeable but not too loud and since they are 140mm fans the noise they make is a low pitched airflow noise that is much more bearable then smaller fans. Even at 100% CPU load I am still under 65c and the fans spin up to 1750rpms and at the same temps as if they were running at full blast and I am now extremely happy with its performance and the performance of the Antec Nano Diamond Formula 7 paste even though I have not replace my graphics cards Tim yet with it.

I also am in love with my new LG 34UM95 monitor, I could not ask for anything more and for 749$ it is nice to have 2 20.5" 1720x1440 built into a single panel. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Family Guy" the episode where Peter keeps flashing Brian with his naked body until stewie tells brian to do the same thing to peter, so Brian shaves himself and he has 8 boobs and gross wrinkly skin and rubbing himself on peter until he promises to stop flashing him" last night on Cartoon network on the right side of my screen while I surfed on the left side Since it can accept 2 inputs at the same time, my PC from the DP and my Cable box from one of the 2 HDMI ports:)
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:23 am

Yet another example of why fan control headers have so much further still to come before they're truly a good alternative to a dedicated fan controller.

Glad you sorted it with a splitter. I always order a few splitters for a quiet build; You just can't rely on a random motherboard of the week having decent fan controllers on all headers....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:47 am

Joys of a water cooler.

My Noctua NH-U12P has been going strong since Aug. 2009!!
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Yet another example of why fan control headers have so much further still to come before they're truly a good alternative to a dedicated fan controller.

Glad you sorted it with a splitter. I always order a few splitters for a quiet build; You just can't rely on a random motherboard of the week having decent fan controllers on all headers....

Especially on a 4 year old p67 motherboard.......After some more use the motherboards CPU fan header on the normal setting does a fantastic job of controlling these beastly 140mm jetflo fans that put out 122+ CFM's of air on a full 12v at 2200 or so RPM's+ or - 100 or so RPMs. The only thing I do not like about the fans is there shape, they have great big rubber pads on all 4 corners but the space between the corners on the outside edge are round like the fan. So they do not make a perfect seal with the radiator. I quickly fixed this slight beef with some very thin strips of beastly Gorilla tape. I know for a fact now they are completely sealed to the radiator and do not leak a drop of air and every single bit that can fit goes through the radiator fins. I did not test before and after since idle and load temps are the same with the fan speeds lower then full blast for the most part from what I can gather from speedfan.

But the motherboard will slightly increase the fan as little as 50 rpms at a time which is pretty great having such small increments instead of say 25%-40% to 60 % and so on..it seems this does 5% at a time I would say so I am happy.