Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Air Flow the right way?

Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:21 pm

Ok, I made up a air flow plan for my next system. Please let me know what you think of it positive or negative. It's only like 6k
http://www.geocities.com/its_malebolgia/rig

deedude
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:54 pm

looks ok.

you may want to put a fan right behind the CPU cooler as well to suck out the warm air.

good luck with your new rig.

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:04 pm

This might be a newbie question, but I'm not that l33t in my case modding so I'll ask anyway.

I would assume that any system such as the one above, with three fans blowing out and one blowing in, would have to have the total air pushing power of the inputs equalling the outputs?

For example (and i'm making these numbers up):

Blowhole: 10CFM
PSU fan: 5CFM
PCI/AGP fan: 10CFM

Total air outflow: 25CFM

In this case, would you not get the best performance from having 25CFM of air flowing into the system though its intake point, or multiple intake points?

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:20 pm

I don't know if I would put an outlet fan so close to the only inlet fan. The way I see it, cool dense air will enter in the front, and go right out the back through the "outer fan". That would prevent the cool air from reaching the parts that need to be cooled, and allow hot spots to form because of poor airflow.

I'd have both of the lower fans blowing in. That would balance the in/out forces a bit, and help the cool air make it up into the case. It would also help prevent hot spots from forming by increasing circulation.
You are false data.

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:10 pm

I agree with Speed. Put that side blowhole to blowing in and you should be good to go. You want to take cool air in from the bottom and blow out warm air at the top.

Don't forget that heat rises! :wink:
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Update

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:56 pm

Ok so on the side fan I'll have it blowing air in I think a 60mm would be good enough for this cooling job.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Case time now

Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:52 pm

I've been looking at cases online only to be disappointed. I need:
4 External 5.25", 2 External 3.5", 2 Internal 3.5". That has a removable front panel, removable motherboard plate, and possible clip rail for the drives.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Case time now

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:01 am

malebolgia wrote:
I need: 4 External 5¼", 2 External 3½", 2 Internal 3½". That has a removable front panel, removable motherboard plate, and possible clip rail for the drives.

http://www.antec-inc.com/en_plus1060.html

This case has four external 5¼", two external 3½", and four internal 3½" bays.

The motherboard tray is not removable, but with a hinged side panel with a door latch, it is very easy to work on.

fink
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:41 pm

What I would recommend is making the lower left fan an intake fan, possibly move it up to blow over the graphics card.

In case design it is best to have the intake CFM close to the outgoing CFM, preferably a bit more intake CFM. This gives you positive pressure (albiet very slight) within the case and will help to keep dust out of the case. Other wise it looks good.

JohnnyQ
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:54 pm

Check out dansdata.com for some great case modding articles, including this one: http://www.dansdata.com/hx45fan.htm on case fan cooling. the collum on the right of that page ("Fans 101") is especially useful when figuring out airflow etc.

if you've never spent time rummaging around dan's site, do yourself a favour and check it out, esp the full article list. it's amazing how someone who seems like a bit of a nutcase (at first) can have such good articles. :)

JQ