Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Elcs
Gerbil
Topic Author

Overclocking a 3D Prophet 4500

Thu May 23, 2002 12:05 pm

I have a 3D Prophet 4500 (based on the Kyro II Chipset) and I was wanting to look into overclocking it (for future reference. If I dont ask now, I'll forget). I was wanting some advice of how far I can go on the stock fan, if I can actually remove the stock fan and any past experiences with overclocking this card would be really helpful.
Ive read up on gf2/3 o/c ing and this card seems to be a different kettle of fish in way of getting the performance benefit. So, any info will be helpful.

PS. I have no money and if I did, at this present moment in time a graphics card upgrade wouldnt benefit me. (protecting my high blood pressure)

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 23, 2002 12:36 pm

The kyro's dont overclock very well in general, very few have gotten from the default 175mhz up to ~200. I think I remember ~185 being about the norm for overclocking. The main thing about overclocking the kyro2 was not that the chipset couldnt go much higher, but that it needed more power. I saw a voltage mod around that allowed the chip to run higher but thats always risky.

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html ... mods.shtml

http://www.paraknowya.com/specials/faq/ ... l?ebDddmgb
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 23, 2002 12:58 pm

I think even with that mod it does not get much higher than that. I had that card a few months and did not get it much higher than 185. I think the problem also is that the core clock speed and memory are in sync so overclocking one affects the other.

Elcs
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2002 1:59 pm

Dolemitecomputers, did you try and remove the fan? I noticed a few weeks back when putting my part new computer together that the fan seemed to be very stubborn to remove.

Also if I were to upgrade the fan, what should I use in its place?

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 23, 2002 3:51 pm

I never did actually. You could try a blue orb heatsink but I'm not sure if it would make a lot of difference.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Sat May 25, 2002 10:21 pm

:( I wouldn't expect a KyroII to o/c, I'd expect it would already be at the technological limit (a lot like the AthlonXP is at 2100+).

:D With the state of the gfx card prices at the mo I'd suggest getting a GF2TI/Radeon7500 $60, a GF3TI200/Radeon8500LE $100 or GF4TI4200 $170 depending on your budget, thirst for speed and quality of the other components in your PC. The KyroII was great when it came out but you're lucky to get GF2MX400 perf out of it, I'd suggest it could be time to upgrade :wink: .
I'm doing my best to catch up but life's still just too busy.