Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Northbridge Cooling

Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:52 pm

Just a quick question -

I plan on purchasing a 760MPX mobo for dual athlons, and I plan on overclocking the FSB a bit. My main question is.. is it true that overclocking the FSB results in more heat on the northbridge? If thats true, could I achieve a higher FSB overclock with better cooling on the northbridge? (provided the RAM and CPU can handle it)

.:Ttocs

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:02 am

From what I hear, multi-CPUs and o/c, esp FSB is a huge no-no.

There's already a lot of heat with 2 CPUs and there are even more syncronisation issues which often cause limitations with dualies.

Most new mobos have a fan on the Northbridge, unofficially to aid o/c, often high RPM small fans with no HS or thermal compound. You could improve it, a good HS and TC should be more than adequate.
I'm doing my best to catch up but life's still just too busy.

deedude
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:34 am

it's been my exprenece that overclocking of any kind results in more heat for everything...

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:55 pm

As has been said, overclocking of any kind will result in more heat being given out... the reason for this is that everything (except vacuums?) have a resistance, and every time an electron goes through it gives a bit more heat out. Increasing the FSB will mean more electrons going through at one point, so more heat.

As the northbridge is the central nervous system of the mainboard, most active cooling happens here (it helps that the rest of the motherboard has a huge surface area compared to the northbridge to dissipate heat passively).

But most motherboards have a heatsink if not a fan on the northbridge, so will allow for at least "preliminary" FSB overclocking...

As for the 760MP(X), the board is manufactured for stability, overclocking is not a high priority for duallies. You might get a bit out of it, but make sure its rock-solid stable before you start, that's a LOT of heat in that case...

Have fun :-),
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:20 pm

IntelMole wrote:
As has been said, overclocking of any kind will result in more heat being given out... the reason for this is that everything (except vacuums?) have a resistance, and every time an electron goes through it gives a bit more heat out.

[IntelMole Enlightenment]
If I remember correctly, Superconductors also don't have any resistance. The only reason they don't make more of them is because they need to be made at around -150 degrees C. Would be nice to have Athlons that would run without a HSF, eh? :)

Well, i'm not sure they don't have ANY resistance, I know at least that they resist significantly less than semiconductors.
[/IntelMole Enlightenment]

Anywho, yes.. I realize this will be one fairly hot case. Which is why I decided to wait for the TBreds, and not go with a (even hotter) Palomino. I will run it at least for a week folding, which is about as hot as I can push it. I can't get a big case, because I want it to be able to fit in my bags (I'll be taking this on a few airplanes in the next month or two, to LAN events). However, I can still fit a midtower ATX case in there, and that should be ample for a dual CPU system. I'm shooting for a Lian Li PC60, and packed with fans.

Thanks for all the info!

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Superconductors

Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:47 pm

Superconducters have a very very very very very very.... low resistance yes. It is far less than normal materials.

(out of depth speculation)

The reason I suggested a vacuum might have negligible resistance is because resistance occurs when an electron goes from the orbit of one atom to the next. If there are no atoms to get in the way, there should be no resistance, right?

(/out of depth speculation)

Anyone know anything about this? I'm sure TwoFer would do it in terms of a really complex equation or something :P ,
IntelMole

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:12 pm

Personally, I love AMD chips because of their heat...during the winter time we all just gather round the ol' Athlon 1.0 @1150 and roast marshmallows. My electric bill is about $50 cheaper during the winter than my neighbors-no central heating needed :D

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:37 pm

You share campfire stories as well?

What happens if you melt the marshmallow over the pc? Who cleans it up?

lol,
IntelMole

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:34 pm

That's the good thing about dropping marshmallows on the PC.. you shut it off, and lick the mashmallow off!

Oops.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:28 pm

Reminds me of putting batteries on my tongue :-)

However, there's probably a bit more current in a 400W PSU :-),
IntelMole

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:35 am

Haha! No.. you unplug the thing before you LICK it!

But hey, I've never seen a mole with spiked hair. Would be neat for a change.

That actually reminds me of a ren and stimpy episode...

"Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence!"

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:27 pm

While we're on the subject, your original post reminded me of an ad on the telly at the moment in the UK...

This woman spills her bf's can of drink (can't remember what it is, so it's beer now) and he licks it up... she then proceeds to pour it over the kitchen floor, the bathroom etc.. He licks it all up and in the process cleans the whole house...

Then she runs out when she starts trying to put it on her body :-),
IntelMole