Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

64 C normal for an Athlon XP 1800+?

Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:58 pm

A little worried about the temps shown on my PC.. using a Gigabyte VRX board.. and a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ running at low speed, that's about 3500-3800rpm.. temps start of at 50 CPU, 25 system..

Temps start to rise after a while, at idle load, 65 CPU, 35 system.. setting to medium reduces it to 54, to high it is about 50.. though I'd prefer not to have to tolerate it.. don't have a casing fan, but the temps are like that even with the case open..

Are these temps anything to worry about? Thanks in advance :D

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sat Jun 22, 2002 2:06 pm

Thats seems kind of high. My XP1800 runs 47-49 idle and 53 w/load. I have a Taisol HSF. hmmm....... What are you using to get your temps? A case fan might help w/ the case closed.

I wonder what is causing it because my Taisol is weaker than your Volcano.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

osiris
Gerbil

Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:07 pm

That temp seems pretty high. Just built a XP 1900 using a Global Win CAKII 38 and AS3 and temps run 43-48 idle to load. I've noticed that some boards run a slightly higher cpu voltage than what it is set to. You might check in your bios to see what your cpu voltage is running and adjust it accordingly. That can cause slightly more heat than normal. Also putting in a front intake fan and a rear exit fan wouldn't hurt. But your temp monitoring may just not be accurate and if everything is running stable then it's really nothing to worry about :)

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:36 am

Using the software from my mobo to get the temps.. windows app.. I tested my friend's 1700+ and Volcano 7 (not the + version) on it and it reported 42C idle, at 3200 rpm.. that's the same as on his own Epox board..

Another thing I haven't mentioned is that my FSB is running at 100MHz.. so I'm actually running a 1.15GHz Athlon.. it just won't post at 133, and if it does, never make it into Win XP.. my friend's 1700+ does not post at 133 as well, so I'm sure there's a problem with the mobo, which I'll have to check with the vendor later..

I'm just still worried about the temperatures reported.. 56 C is high.. and I've had fab reviews on the Volcano 7+.. so i'm wondering whether there's a problem with my processor or even fan? Ideas anyone? Thanks :P

getbornagain
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:16 am

well as far as that board go, i have the xp version of it and i guess i don't know if they are the same but there should be some switches to adjust for 100 or 133 on the board, if you have the manuel they should be easy to find because i believe that they are simliar, though i could be way off base here :oops:

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:06 am

i'd say you definitely need at least a couple case fans in there, to get some circulation going. i've got a thermalright ax-7, with 3 case fans going, and my 1800+ isn't getting above 38C.

jsbach11
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:52 am

I have an XP 1800+ and I use an $8 aluminum CoolerMaster EP5-6i11. My system has never gone above 38 C.

I also have an extra 9cm fan in the back blowing out exhaust, though. It runs at 1500 RPM.

pattouk2001
Gerbil Jedi

Voltage

Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:32 am

Hi, have you checked the voltage that your motherboard is putting though your CPU, I recommend 1.75v for that CPU your running. I have an AthlonXP 1900+@2000+ with a Volcano 6cu heatsink, and it's full load temp is 54*c, and it idles at a steady 49*c.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:49 am

voltage is at 1.75v for the CPU. and there are switches to set it to 100 and 133.. switching it to 133 won't allow my cpu to post, that's why my athlon is running at 1.15 GHz now..

Everything is running at default.. I have not touched the RAM timings.. no crashes in winxp under 100FSB.. but that's not what it's supposed to running at.. :(

Startup temperature of 50C is not normal..

osiris
Gerbil

Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:37 pm

Check in the bios to see what the FSB to PCI ratio is. Theres should be an option to set it to 3:1, 4:1, and maybe 5:1 if you have a KT333(i'm not familiar with your particular board) If your running a 133bus it needs to be set to 4:1. Your AGP ratio may be tied in there too. It needs to be 1\2 of your FSB. May look like 4:2:1

Also check that the memory bus is set correctly. Ex. memory bus=FSB,not plus 33.
Don't know if this helps but it's worth checking. No point in running your processor slower than it's meant to.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:10 am

At 1.15G, you should NEVER be breaking 60C. Something is very wrong, I'd start with throwing in a few 80mm case fans, as it's the cheapest answer to the most likely problem.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:32 am

:( If you're running a modern gfx card then this too contributes HUGELY to heat probs. Even a GF2 kicks out some heat.

:cry: If your case is more than a year old then it certainly wasn't designed with new components in mind, esp if your PSU is covering your CPU. You should DEFINITELY consider a new case, if not then certainly a dual fan PSU like Antec or Enermax.

:-? I've heard many times that setting a 133 FSB via the mobo dips/switches can be very problematic, so try checking your BIOS for the setting, and a BIOS update will do no harm.

:( If you're using an older chipset like KT133 then it simply can't handle XP cores of Duron1.0ghz+ and AthlonXP's. Check the manu website for compatibility info.

8) Also you will need at least PC133 (SDR) or PC2100 (DDR) to cope with a 133 FSB. As mentioned, disable the '+33' setting as it's intended for async FSB & RAM settings at a 100FSB. Also use the slowest RAM timings for CAS latency etc (ie higher ones, 3 or 2.5 instead of 2), at least until you manage to POST.

:) Your ratio should be automatic anyway, even older mobos should handle those with ease. Just rem to keep the PCI very close to 33mhz if you don't want probs. 100/3 or 133/4 are what it should do.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:33 am

8) Regarding case fans and airflow. Be carefull not to exacerbate the problem. Sticking them in the wrong places or wrong way around will have a negative effect.

:wink: First I would check your case for adequate ventilation. You really need some ventilation at the front and some ventilation at the back. It's always good to remove spare PCI slot cover plates, as well as any other removable covers. Also the unused 3.5" & 5.25" bays at the front of your case often have metal plates covering them, remove them, maybe put some holes in the plastic covers too. Route your cables well so they don't inhibit airflow. As a last resort, try unscrewing the PSU and place it on top of the case (esp if it's blocking the CPU HSF) and remove the side of your case, bear in mind that will also make the components more vulnerable to damage and dust.

:wink: When applying case fans you should see what your case allows. I would only rec at most, a fan at the bottom front pulling cool air in, and another fan near the CPU pulling warm air out. Bear in mind that the front fan will need good local ventilation in order to get the cool air in, otherwise it will just keep blowing the warm air around. The rear FAN again needs good local ventilation, it's no good blowing warm air at the casing if it can't go anywhere. When adding the fans, I would mount them one at a time and monitor the diff in temps, they could simply mix up the in-case air flow rather than enhance it.

:P Bottom line, use stability as a guide, rem that any temp readings are only approximate anyway.

PS. Don't go sticking your PC near a radiator or next to a sunny window and then wonder why your PC starts to melt!

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

hmmm

Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:10 am

not to get too basic, but by chance are you using enough thermal compound? When its too thin, I got temps of up to 60 with my 1700+ XP and aCoolermaster HSF with the pipes.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

liquidsquid

FYI

Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:56 am

New system, AMD1800+ stock cooler, 54C running Folding@Home for two days straight. Warmer than I would like, I would prefer 0C, but I haven't convinced anyone of the necessity of upgrading the cooler here at work.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:45 am

still haven't got my system to run properly yet.. did a bios flash the other day.. other than getting a newer bios, it didn't help much.. still having 65C as standard on it.. at 100fsb.. it's pretty stable.. only when i run games or anything processor intensive does it go up to 78C.. which is still weird.. but no crashes so far..

TheEmrys... I thought my thermal compound was too thick, reduced it somewhat.. but the temperatures were no different before and after..

Austin.. I am using a GF4 Ti4200, but how much heat should that produce just after startup my pc? Case is new, KT333 mobo, PC2100 DDR RAM.. the jumper on the motherboard just won't post when I set it to 133..

Yeah.. and any quiet case fans recommended? Haha.. was so tempted to get a P4 just to get a noiseless fan.. but performance rules! :lol:

liquidsquid

I would guess at this

Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:00 pm

I would be willing to bet the thermocouple is reading incorrectly. 70C plus? That is way too high, internal portions of the Athlon would then be likely running over 90C on portions away from the heatsink, and this would cause more than stability issues, like die cracking and pitting. Something is very wrong for sure, and don't run it too long at those temps.

Something to check however is that all fans exhaust from the case, and that there are ample vents to allow air into the case. If you have many case fans, make sure the fans on one side of the case are all moving air in the same direction, and if there are fans on the other side of the case, make them do the opposite direction (inhale vs. exhale). If you have a fan exhausting right next to one inhaling, the cool air wont make it through the inside of the case very well.

Also if a fan is plugged somewhat, like a stray cable next to it, or the fan doesn't have the poop-stink to move air through the fins, it can prevent air movement all together except within the fan blade area. Instead of the air moving from one side of the fan to another, it sits in the fan blads and just spins around. That is why if you partially block a fan the RPMs go up, it is easier for a fan to move air in a circle than to move it through it.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:12 pm

:-? 4200's run pretty hot, but no more really than a GF2. Even in older cases, once the measures I mentioned above I've seen people running GF3s in old cases. Adequate ventilation and an intake fan at the front or rear exhaust fan should certainly be more than enough.

:wink: If you're not getting crashes or lock-ups the I'd simply say your reported temps are unrealisticly high. You'll get adequate warning from random reboots, freezing etc long before any damage is done, I'd say that's the best guide.

:( I think the biggest prob you have is the lack of a 133 FSB, what chipset does that Gigabyte mobo use?

ReiGn
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:50 am

It's a KT333.

I'm running on the 7VRXP board and using the Gigabyte Utility Manager, and I'm getting high readings too. I think a lot of it is the software readings being off. I'm getting temps on the CPU (T-Bird 1.2) of 55-60 idle to load, and system temps of 40 degrees which seems rediculous. BUT, the problem is I AM getting lock-ups. I have an intake and an outlet fan on my case and a GeForce2 vid card.

My board runs fine at 133 though using both the switch and the bios settings, but again it's on a T-Bird, not an XP.

I think I may try to lower the voltage to the CPU through the bios oc features, and I'm cutting the outlet vent more open, but I don't know of much more either of us could do.

Sorry this wasn't much help......just letting you know I feel your pain.

Adding on: I just checked the core voltage and it's already only at 1.72V. Should I go lower for the T-Bird 1.2 GHz?

sandmand1
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:05 am

Hi. I'm new on this sight. But I just had to sign up as a member just to help you.

I have a mobo with the same chipset and the same cpu. I made the fatal error of setting the multiplier wrong. the cpu is only running at 1533 Mhz, that means that you have to devide 1533 Mhz into 133 Mhz and that gives 11.5 times on the multiplier. I had to ajust this manuelly on the mobo i have(MSI) and then ajust the mhz from 100 to 133. I have had a lot of different mobo's and this is the first in a long time that dos not automaticly find the right cpu on it self. This should help.

On the heat problem, I can only say that you should watch out with the termal compound. I have tried to put too much on the cpu, and that gave mee the result that you have right now. too much heat.
So my advise is to use as little compound as possible. I have a very small amount on mine and it is at about 42C

Hope this helps :D

PS sorry about my spelling.

Dave Grigger
Gerbil

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:55 am

ReiGn wrote:
I'm running on the 7VRXP board and using the Gigabyte Utility Manager, and I'm getting high readings too. I think a lot of it is the software readings being off. I'm getting temps on the CPU (T-Bird 1.2) of 55-60 idle to load, and system temps of 40 degrees which seems rediculous.

I'm also running the 7VRXP, XP2000+, Ti4200, PC2100.
Cpu temp is 40 as soon as I can read the temp, idles at 50 and is generally 54-56 flat out. System temp is about 40. I've got 2 case fans (in bottom front, out top rear). My comp room is only 4ft x 9ft and opening the door actually hepls the temps as the room gets pretty warm after a while!

I have no problem getting 133 FSB - could your's be a RAM problem??

My cooler is the std AMD doofer stuck on with the supplied DS tape.

I was running a TNT before the Ti and the temps are the same now.

I think you should try and get more air across the mobo.. and check the HS to die relationship.

ReiGn
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:42 am

All right...

I've cut both the intake vent in the front and the outlet vent in the back of the case more open...and I switched to a Volcano 7......and it's helped a ton.

My system temp is staying around 35'C and my CPU hasn't gone above 54'C. Those are 5 and 6 degree difs, which in 'C are not too shabby.

Now I'm pretty convinced that the readings are a little off too because at 35'C, the V7's fan is supposed to be spinning at a full 5000 rpm, but it's only at 3800 rpm. (With my luck, there's probably something wrong with the fan.)

The most important thing is that I haven't locked up again....it's only been a little while, but I tried running everything that I was doing when it locked up last time, and it was smooth sailing. That was when the CPU topped off at 54'C.
my system breaks every other day....currently--no OpenGL on my TI4400???? what the...?

mascot
Gerbil

Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:56 pm

im running an xp 1800 + and i had the same temp probs you did....
enter a volcano 7+ and i run at 45c idle and around 50 under heavy load
or when i clock it ....

i also had the same probs you did when trying to up my fsb......
my mobo (asus a7v333) has a lil jumper you have to move over to disable the switches and let you clock it from the bios....

i dunno bout your mobo but have you checked this?

mascot
Gerbil

Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:56 pm

im running an xp 1800 + and i had the same temp probs you did....
enter a volcano 7+ and i run at 45c idle and around 50 under heavy load
or when i clock it ....

i also had the same probs you did when trying to up my fsb......
my mobo (asus a7v333) has a lil jumper you have to move over to disable the switches and let you clock it from the bios....

i dunno bout your mobo but have you checked this?

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:52 pm

Actually.. fixed this problem a while ago.. I thought it was a faulty mobo, but it turned out to be a placeholder in the wrong place..

My temps now are 49C (this is after a reboot, I don't have anything that monitors temps for this mobo in Windows), system at 25C.. using an Epox 8K3A now.. I think the temps are mobo related, and I've been reading that Gigabyte boards tend to show higher temps than normal..
*yawn*