Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

timm
Gerbil
Topic Author

Asus A7N266-VM overclocking.. possible?

Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:40 am

Hey all,

I recently bought a Asus A7N266-VM (mini atx, nforce 220) for my brother, but as it turns out, my brand spankling new 2200+ wouldn't boot in my MSI K7TPro2, so I switched with him.

The problem now being, I can't seem to find any way to overclock the damn thing. I upgraded to the newest BIOS, and read thru the manual, but I see no mention of a jumperless setting anywhere. The overclocking options seem to be presented in the BIOS, but they're grayed out.

If anyone has any experience with this board, or any similar board, I'd love to hear how you got overclocking to work. Or not, for that matter.

Thanks.

MrMMills1
Gerbil In Training

Asus A7N266 line of MB (problems)?

Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:59 pm

First - do you have the right bios - see http://usa.asus.com/inside/Techref/athlonxp.htm

I was in the process of buying the A7n266-E Motherbaord. I requested vendors put the AMD XP2200 CPU on it. The vendors I spoke with said that they could not do so because they did not have board revison 1.03a (they only had board revision 1.03) based on AMD posting stating that not all A7N266 boards could accept the new Thoroughbred .13 micron AMD XP 2200 processor. see Link http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Pro ... 2_869_4348^4378|120_1_XP,00.html

After much disappointment I finally reached a tech at Asus and they refered me to http://usa.asus.com/inside/Techref/athlonxp.htm

I called 3 vendors back abut none of them would put the XP2200 CPU on these boards (despite Asus's assurance) because they said they experienced too many boards that didnt work with the XP2200.

Asus has always been good to me but since the voltage on the processor is different than your normal AMD XP chip I have decided to forego getting one until motherboard bio's can accomodate the voltage change when the see the new Thoroughbred's. Let me know how it works out.
[email protected]

timm
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:08 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but I've already got the 2200+ working on a A7N266-VM motherboard. The problem is now that I can't overclock the damn thing.

I did a search on this board for the same thing, but none of the posts I found had any solution, so I was hoping maybe there was some news on this issue.

Thanks again.

timm
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:13 pm

Oh, and the voltage on my board is correctly identified (both with 1.01 and 1.03 BIOS). There might have been a slight error on the speed detection (1733MHz with 1.01, 1800MHz on 1.03 BIOS according to BIOS)

(Oh sweet mother, I am too drunk to write anymore. If that didn't make sense, that's why ;))

drsnooker
Gerbil

Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:47 pm

I had one of these boards and sold it because of lack of overclocking options.
You can typically change the voltage by connecting some of the bridges on the CPU and at least unlock the multiplier. However the bios doesn't have any options of using them.
The only way I figured you can overclock with this board is to mess with the bios registers. Get the WPCREDIT and WPCRSET and the biggest problem is to find the nforce pcr file. Not sure if anybody figured it out yet.