Topic Author

56k modems

Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:40 pm

whats the best way to speed up a slow 56k modem

northstar
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:49 pm

is there much difference in a 56k v2 ???????????????

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:55 pm

To get the most obvious solution out of the way....

GET BROADBAND!!!!!

Now if that isn't an option, first what speeds are you getting to begin with when you connect? If you're consistently getting 50-52Kbps connections then there isn't that much you can do :(.

Any modem users out there? It's been too long....
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

northstar
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:58 pm

the fastest i get is 49.2 and no i carnt get broadband

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 01, 2002 4:02 pm

northstar wrote:
the fastest i get is 49.2 and no i carnt get broadband

That's a typical speed. Don't worry about it.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:19 pm

Unfortunately he's right :(. I get about 50k when I connect on the road. You can't get satellite?
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

farfolen
Gerbil First Class

clean it?

Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:22 pm

Back in the day, when I still used dial-up, I decided to crack open my case and I saw nothing but dust bunnies. Took to it with two cans of compressed air and cleaned that bitch out.

went from ~25K to ~52
1 GHz on a 100 MHz FSB...gotta love technology.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:19 pm

Aaaargh, I can't speed up my modem, I'm only getting 40 or 44kbps, and at maximum I've got 45333 with a different ISP.

Since I'm on an unmetered monthly package switching ISP is not preferred :-)

Any local setup tips?

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but this what you wanted to know anyways, right?
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

Kuhtarl
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:05 pm

Drop another 56k into your machine, pay for an extra ISP connection (of course you'll need a second phone line) and pool them.
If memory serves, I believe it's called Multilink and it's possible with 56k.

It's not a cheap alternative, but it's possible.
So, if speed is a requirement and broadband isn't available (and of course money is no object.. yeah.. right) Go with Multilink.

This is similar to having 2 - 64k ISDN channels (128k), but with 56k modems. Theoretically I think you can pool as many modems as you can fit into your case (plus the extra phone lines and the extra ISP connections) *unless your ISP doesn't limit concurrent connections, then you can save cash by using the same username and password. :)

It's been a while since I did anything with this so forgive me if the details are vague. :(

My guess is that this will be unfeasible for anyone to really use. :(
But at least know that there are options.

Kuhtarl
Gerbil XP

Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:07 pm

Upon further digging, here are some specs and details on multilinking.
Hope they help.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1717.html

8)

Here's more from the Windows XP Help file:
Configuring multiple device dialingThe Network Connections feature performs PPP Multilink dialing over multiple ISDN, X.25, or modem lines. The feature combines multiple physical links into a logical bundle and the resulting aggregate link increases your connection bandwidth. To dial multiple devices, both your connection and your remote access server must have Multilink enabled.

Network Connections can dynamically control the use of multilinked lines. By allocating lines only as they are required, thereby eliminating excess bandwidth, you can realize a significant efficiency advantage. You can configure the conditions under which extra lines are dialed, and underused lines are hung up, through Network Connections settings.

Multilink is automatically enabled in Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional.

Note

If you use Multilink to dial a server that requires callback, then only one of your multilinked devices is called back. This is because you can only store one number in a user account. Therefore, only one device connects and all other devices fail to complete the connection, and your connection loses Multilink functionality. You can avoid this problem:
If the multilinked phonebook entry uses an standard modem configuration, and the remote access server that your connection is calling uses more than one line for the same number.
If the multilinked phonebook entry is ISDN with two channels that have the same phone number.

If you want more information, check your Windows Help file for "MULTILINK". For Linux users, do a Google Search. I found plenty of Linux information on Multilinking.

OR You could consult your local library. But they'll probably just look at you funny.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:33 pm

Yea, they're called 'shotgun' modems, gnerally one board that has two modems onboard.

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:32 pm

i think i've got a spare 56k if you want it.
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:14 am

Ill soon be getting broadband, but to throw some facts out, Im getting 50.6 connection speed. Not bad for a dial-up.

I cant decide which to go for, DSL or Cable Modem? What do you guys & girls think? DSL or Cable, cons & pros. Thanks
Twitter: @xmunos

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:39 am

Go to the one which has the best speed and service in your area as the max tech spec's for both is much more then youll ever have available.

IIRC its something like this.....
Cable is somewhere around 38Mbit/12Mbit max...(often have 10mbit nic in them, newer cable modems has 100mbit nics).
ADSL is 8/2Mbit
SDSL should be 8/8 or 5/5 or something
while the still ellusive VDSL is up to 50Mbit's

nrobison
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:29 am

IntelMole,

It's an ISP issue, related 1st to the number of phone company switches/hubs/whatever between you and your ISP's T1s (or T3s), and 2nd to the physical distance in and age of phone lines therebetween.

You could petition your local telephone company to install new double-insulated buried copper directly from your house to the closest hub from your ISP, for free thank you, but somehow I doubt they'll jump on it...

Dial-up is robust (DUH, telephones are pretty robust because they've had 120 (?) years to become so); the same switches/distance problems can boot you right out of DSL land, but you're asking the ol' dial-up Sysiphus to scale Everest rather than whatever Greek Hill in Hell he was originally assigned to :D The boy is gonna slow down.

I'd stick with the ISP you like, and join us "Conscientious Luddites Against Flash" (CLAF). And go broadband when money ceases to be an object, and you have a secretary to argue with the cable company for you.

Here at work our dial-up to a VPN through MCI nets 19.8 to 24.2 kBps, same computer dials up to a local ISP at 46.