Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Polare
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2002 4:48 pm

Good day, all...

Not sure what forum to put this in but I figure it's considered 'tweaking' :smile:. I just got a bundle of cash to spend and I want to put an MP3 player in my car (seeing as right now it has only a cassette player and I don't own any tapes :grin:).

I noticed TR has a very good review on the Aiwa CDCMP3, a unit which my local CarToys happens to have on sale right now for $199.99 with free installation. Has anyone used this unit personally? Does anyone like a different unit more? Anyone else here actually have an MP3 player in their car?

Thanks
-Polare

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Feb 05, 2002 6:14 pm

I remember there was a big discussion about this a while ago. Anyone have the link to this?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:22 pm

My brother installed the AIWA CDCMP3 in his car a year ago. It doesn't have quite as high a signal-to-noise or FM sensitivity rating as the Kenwood, but it costs a lot less. Most automobile listening environments are pretty noisy, so the difference in S/N may not be noticeable. The display is very colorful. My brother likes it, but I might be tempted to turn it down.
The player handles variable bit rate (VBR) encoded MP3s just fine. That's a big plus, as I believe that a 50% VBR MP3 sounds better than a straight CBR 128 kbps MP3 that takes up the same space.

BetrayerX
Gerbil In Training

Mon Mar 25, 2002 10:45 am

I remember the was a link that teaches you how to build one with spare computer parts...so for around 100 you can have one....anyone know this link?

Alanzilla
Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:22 am

Check out this one.

http://www.dension.com/english/indexeng.html

This is going on my bike (with a laptop drive in it).

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:59 pm

for your car, you could just scrounge up an old laptop and use it. Or get online for a Creative nomad jukebox. I've seen them for under 200 bucks. 6 gigs worth of mp3s is much better than just 650M.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse