Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Which tool for Overlocking Mobility HD 4650?

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:27 pm

Ati tool won't work, the included catalyst console doesn't have an option and Riva tuner won't work.

Where can I find an overclocking tool for this SONY VGN-FW455J laptops mobiliyt HD 4650 1 gig?

Do you guys know if this can be competetive with the HD4670 when oc'd? Any review sites? Benchmarks and or laptop graphic card shootouts would be cool to read. I just sold both of my gaming desktops and am using this to replace them both. Moderate gaming was my goal. Mid settings etc. Let me know what you guys think of this notebook but for now.. Just got it today.... I'm very impressed with the build quality, and it Ran Half Life 2 Lost Coast at 1600 x 900 everything maxed at 90 fps!

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Re: Which tool for Overlocking Mobility HD 4650?

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:06 pm

GPU's run on the verge of meltdown in a desktop. They are even closer to it in a laptop. Overclocking a gpu in a laptop is just asking for trouble. In other words don't do it.

Mentawl
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Most notebook graphics cards are difficult to overclock for a reason (see above). Probably your best bet is to mod the bios of the card, but I really recommend against it.
i7-8700k @ 4.7ghz | MSI Krait Z370 Gaming | nVidia GTX1080 | 16gb DDR4 3200 | 2x SSDs 1x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Laptops are usually built to run at just the right temperature. Unless you're going to change fan profiles, you probably don't want to screw with clock speeds.

Don't do it.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:30 am

Hance wrote:
GPU's run on the verge of meltdown in a desktop.

97% of GPUs disagree with your cocky supposition.

TaBoVilla
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Laptop video overclocking is not recommendable

if you live in a colder than normal environment and you get a good laptop cooling system, a base with fans and stuff on the bottom to keep it cool, you could overclock it maybe a bit, but you wont gain much from this, at best case scenario you might get 10-15% better framerates, but that's about it. Discrete laptop GPUs don't have much thermal margin to play with, plus if you wreck it replacements are not widespread.

sometimes apps like ati tools or the amd overclocking tool don't work properly with newer laptop video cards, I had to wait like a year and newer drivers to be able to overclock my laptop's HD3650. In my personal case, i got more mileage by overclocking my memory than my core, plus, overclocking the core only 50Mhz can rise temperatures or make it unstable, yet, I got memory to go from 400 to 530Mhz (1Ghz GDDR2) without artifacts

when you say ati tools dont work, in which way it doesn't work? you set clocks and you get different numbers back and totally different clock results? because that's what used to happen to me with ATI tools, you just have to play with it a little.

potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:34 pm

he means it is automatically disbabled when CCC recognizes his chipset.

don't overclock your laptop.
just play on low resolution and deal with it. start smoking or something, j/k

matnath1
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:48 pm

Thanks for all of your responses. Some had me laughing my azz off!

I was aware of the pitfalls of overclocking a laptops gpu... You guys simply re-affirmed not to do it and so i won't .

It was my hope that since this one is a 40nm version card that it'd be possible to squeeze our Hd4670 level performance.. Guess it's not worth it.

Yes Ati tool just would not work at all. After downloading and attempting to run it, the core overclock remained greyed out and I could not use the memory overlocker.. I guess it did not recognize my vid cards bios?

Oh well just have to deal with lower performance huh?

tony7516
Gerbil In Training

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:36 am

Listen everyone, just answer the question, how can it be done, im not worried about frying my laptop, because a friend of my cousin's did it with the same graphics card, overclocked the core an extra 100mhz. we all know the dangers, so stop posting them, i just want to know how to do it, because there is a way.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:09 am

tony7516 wrote:
Listen everyone, just answer the question, how can it be done, im not worried about frying my laptop, because a friend of my cousin's did it with the same graphics card, overclocked the core an extra 100mhz. we all know the dangers, so stop posting them, i just want to know how to do it, because there is a way.

How to make friends and influence people is a book you should read. Nice first post. And your anger is misplaced as you weren't the OP. Moreover, it was useful for the OP.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Mentawl
Gerbil Elite

Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:50 pm

tony7516 wrote:

Actually, if you read up, you'll note that modifying the bios of the card was stated as probably the most effective way to do it, as a lot of software tools will refuse to modify the clocks on a mobile GPU. Google is your friend, and won't get annoyed at you being snippy with it like we will.
i7-8700k @ 4.7ghz | MSI Krait Z370 Gaming | nVidia GTX1080 | 16gb DDR4 3200 | 2x SSDs 1x HDD | Antec Solo II | Dell U2713HM

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:32 pm

tony7516 wrote:

We didn't say there wasn't a way. We said "don't".
If you're being condescending like that, you clearly know much better than us what's going on and don't need our help. And if you don't know better than us, you have no right to be that condescending.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?