Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

overclocking the i5 750

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:45 am

Just recently do to a fortunate turn of events, i was able to upgrade my pc to my first ever semi high end build.(Normally do to my limited income i'm stuck putting together systems in the low to mid range.)My new system is running a core 15 750 cpu which i'm about to start overclocking.I was just curious if any one has this processor(or something similar) and would have any tips or advice for ocing the core i5/17 serries cpu's mainly what i'm looking for is if there are any new features or changes that might make it harder or easier than the older core 2's and phenoms.Cause after just glancing at my motherboards bios there are defiantly a few new things i haven't seen before in there. Would like to also get an idea of what i'm shooting for. From what i've seen online this usually seem to hit around the 4ghz range.For now i'll be using the stock cooler since all the beefier heat sinks i own don't support socket 1156 mb. But i might pick one up if i can't seem to get a reasonable oc and temps from the stock.My new system is as follows upgraded from the system in my sig.

Core i5 750
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe mb (i know there are better boards at it's price point,but i was able to get this for $150 as a mint condition open box ,at good ol microcenter.)
8gb Ocz ddr3 1600
1 terabyte WD caviar black
XFX 5770 1gb (a strategic buy, found out i was getting one of these next month for my bday. Setting myself up for some cf :wink: )
ocz 700w mod extreme pro powersuply (only thing i kept from my old system)
cooler master cm 690 case (almost cried when i decided not to go with my traditional antec 300)
Amd Phenom 2 560(unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8ghz),xfx Radeon 6870 (ty again tr ^^ ),Cooler master haf case, 4gb of drr3 1600 ram, win7 ultimate 64bit

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Re: overclocking the i5 750

Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:45 am

I have almost the exact same setup, except my mobo is the P7P55D-E, I have 4gb of ddr3 1600 (patriot), I have a 600w OCZ psu, and I did use my antec 300. I am currently running 4.01ghz at a 1.3750v. I didn't want to screw with figuring out my max OC and was happy with 4, so I just match up my bios to the specs demo'd here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncMI8HUD0hE. It was pretty easy. I am also using a Noctua NH-U12P and it is nice and cool.

MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:04 am

That's the route i was leaning towards as well.looked up a couple of ocing reviews was just going to start out with there settings then go up or down accordingly.Going to have to hold off on it for a bit though.Just before i decided to start trying to oc i decided to run a few things and check current stability first.Turned out to be a wise choice my system started crashing during the 3d testing on the windows rating tool.So naturally i thought it was a graphics issue.So i installed a game real quick and try to boot it up and sure enough crash.So next i installed hwmonitor checked my temps and they all "Appeared" to be ok so i tried to uninstall/reinstall my graphics drivers. System crashes during uninstall.So next i run system restore back to when i first installed windows 7. Tried running windows assessment tool again this time it zooms through the graphics part (since there's no real hardware installed for it to test) then crashes during the cpu assessment. Ahhhh the plot thickens.So this time i go into the bios settings check it's hwmoniter, it shows my cpu running at just over 75C :cry: . So i open up my case check the heat sink it's secure and the fans turning on so i'm thinking maybe it's the thermal past.Sure enough the preaplied paste from intel is barely covering a small circle right in the middle of the cpu. Not only that it has also harden into a sandy dried toothpaste like state.Gee thanks intel not only are you skimping on the heat sinks but now the thermal paste too.So now that i've applied my own thermal paste everything is up and running stable. Temps have dropped to the 30-40 range, but yet i'm still apprehensive now. Going to wait till i pick up a after market cooler latter today or tomorrow before i start my ocing efforts. Just don't trust intel's hs now.
Amd Phenom 2 560(unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8ghz),xfx Radeon 6870 (ty again tr ^^ ),Cooler master haf case, 4gb of drr3 1600 ram, win7 ultimate 64bit

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:49 pm

did you end up getting a better CPU cooler? I have since learned the ins and outs of i5 overclocking and am up to 4.2ghz at 1.4v.

MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:00 pm

I haven't got a new cooler yet.Was thinking of picking up one of the hyper 12's mentioned in the last system guide, especially since my local microcenter has them for only $29.I did try to overclock with the stock cooler however.Was able to get up to 4ghz but my temps were hovering between 45-50c at idle and 60-65c at load.I know this isn't horrible for a cpu but still to high for my taste.I like keeping my system as cool and quit as possible even when overclocking.Here's about were my normal temps hover around.

For now i've put it back at stock which is fine.Even at stock i've never seen it go above a 45% load.After i eventually get a better cooler, i'm going to see how high i could take it though. Hopefully i can get it somewhere in the 4.2-4.4 range.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:06 pm

What I am concerned with is how the OC works with Turboboost enabled? Does it lower your maximum overclock or what?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:22 pm

I've got two i5 set ups running OCd right now.
One sits at 3.6GHz, and the other is sitting at 4.0GHz.
Both mobos are MSI P55 GD65, but I have a co worker running the lower model CD53 I think it is, and he is at 3.4GHz.
In each case the cooler is a coolermaster hyper 212+
I've seen good cooling results with each and in mine the turbo boost feature is disabled while the overclock is active.
I should note that none of thse are max settings. I've never felt the need to push either system any further.

MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
What I am concerned with is how the OC works with Turboboost enabled? Does it lower your maximum overclock or what?

I left it on what time i had mine overclocked, and it ran stable and did throttle up and down still.The overclock just seemed to raise the potential max speeds when turboboost kicked in.I have read a few overclocking guides and reviews that said to turn it off for stability.I however had no stability problems with it on, although i didn't leave on for more than few hours before i went back to stock do to temps.