Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

madmanmarz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Brisbane + 790x overclocking

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:38 pm

My board died so I bought an MSI 790xt-g45 which is a ddr2 mobo. I'm running an old 5000+ Brisbane core that has posted 3.4ghz before on an NF4 chipset and was stable at a little over 3.3. My main question is, do any of the rules change with these new chipsets...specifially regarding the ht link? Do I still want to keep it between 800-1000 mhz? Also should I enable ACC? I have the option to set it to normal and special and I'm not sure if it will do anything for this processor. I remember reading somewhere that ACC or overdrive or something will mess with the memory controller timings to help overclocks with the old athlons but I can't remember specifically.

Right now I'm close to stable at 265x13 (~3445mhz), ht link @4x so 1060mhz. Memory is running as slow as possible so I can get a good overclock but has proven stable around 800mhz 4cas and 1t. Oh yeah I'm running 1.64v on the athlon right now and roughtly 2.2 on the ram...And yes it's on water and there's plenty of room left with temps.

Realllllyyy want to get 3.5 out of it just for kicks until I upgrade the cpu ...I am open to any suggestions.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Brisbane + 790x overclocking

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:51 pm

ACC microtunes internal clocks on Phenom (I only) processors to increase the overclocking headroom. After the Phenom I generation, it was implemented inside the processor, so the motherboard switch does nothing. Before the Phenom I generation, the feature doesn't exist, so enabling it also does nothing. (And it could mess with other things and harm the processor, in theory.)
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

madmanmarz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:36 pm

guess what i was thinking of was autoxpress but i don't see where to enable/disable it

madmanmarz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 pm

I went ahead and bought a Phenom II 550 BE and it worked fine but strangely this board was still having issues where after a hard shutdown or bios settings that wouldn't post, I have to wait like 5-10 minutes before the board will start again. It also is very finicky...It has never taken me so long to find stable settings and with the wait time it started getting very tedious. All in all, I couldn't unlock either of the other cores (at least at the stock speed). I tried going up and down on the % in ACC and I could never get into Windows. Even threw all types of voltage at everything. In the end, my overclock was limited to 3.9ghz and 1.45v on water. According to ACC my temps are only at 31 C full load which makes me cry. There is an absolute wall on this processor that will not allow it to go higher even with another .15v thrown at it. On the plus side it was doing like 3.7 @ stock voltage. Kind of wish I would've ordered an x3 now but I just wanted to get this thing working and $99 at the Tiger store wasn't bad. So I didn't really get everything I could have out of the memory, processor or NB/HT links because of the long wait before I could start the board again, but regardless it's much faster than what I had (although it was doing just fine).

Womp womp, so final settings -

Phenom II 550 BE 200x19.5 (3900.00), 1.45v on water. HT link @ 2000, NB @ 2200
MSI 790XT-G45 -bumped NB/HT a little
GSkill 1066 rated DDR2 @ 800mhz 5-4-4-12 1T, 2.1v