Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

overclocking a 1090T

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:05 pm

hey guys I have an AMD 1090T, its my first six core processor and my first AMD processor. Its running on a Asus' Crosshair IV Formula X890 mobo with 16 gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz. I have noticed my CPU doesn't overclock well at all anymore. Upon getting it I was able to get right up near a 4 ghz stable OC but now it struggles with a 3.8 ghz OC. I've tried Turning the ram down and up again seems to have no bearing. Seems no matter what if I OC the CPU the system is less stable. I am used to easy OCing of Intel CPUs, my Q6600 was at 3.0 ghz with no issues for... well its still running that for my sister no issues. At any rate I'm really turned off by this issue as I bought the premium motherboard to get 4 ghz OC and can't keep it at that anymore. Just sharing my disappointing first time experience with an AMD product and its associated mother board. What good is a black edition processor when you can't OC with it? And not temps are fine the thing never breaks 40 degrees Celsius. Granted it was a fair deal of a system but still I expected to get more out of it. I'm looking at selling it and getting a more OC friendly machine soon as the bank approves. I also have some strange USB anomalies where it doesn't recognize Anything plugged into after recovering from sleep, and a strange audio blip that pops up every 30 or so minutes. If I've missed something feel free to inform me otherwise consider this a flame thread. lol

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: overclocking a 1090T

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:18 pm

I overclocked my 1090T when I first got it. I didn't get a very large overclock, maybe 3.6 GHz. Then I wised up and disabled a couple cores and returned the chip to stock speeds. What application are you finding you need the increased CPU speed?

If you still want to overclock to 4 GHz and are wondering why you could do it then but not now, then here's why:

1.) Transistors, and therefore entire chips, actually do wear out through processes such as HCI, NBTI, etc. Note that this is not likely the cause of your problem. These breakdown mechanisms take a really long time to manifest themselves and you shouldn't have problems with them in the first year unless you're really unlucky.
2.) You didn't properly stress test when you did your original overclock. Software on your system has changed, which stresses your CPU in different ways. Consequently, while it seemed stable back then, that stability is now exposed to have been false.
3.) The cooling in your case has become worse with time. Dust has buit up in your case, which makes it more difficult for your CPU to dispose of it's heat. If your chip is running really hot at 4 GHz, this may be why.
4.) Your hardware has changed. For example, maybe you added RAM, which is not stable at the FSB you set your CPU to.

You may be able to fix problems 1-3 by disabling cores when you overclock. You'll find that a 4 core chip at 4 GHz will be more useful than a 6 core chip at 3.8 GHz for many applications. And again, what are you doing that you actually need to overclock this thing. I've played several recent games and not had any trouble with that same CPU.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Nice anecdote. You haven't actually given us any info that we can use to help you, though. Do you want help, or just looking to stir things up?

Wait, actually you did give us something: "I also have some strange USB anomalies where it doesn't recognize Anything plugged into after recovering from sleep, and a strange audio blip that pops up every 30 or so minutes." Sounds like a possible motherboard issue?

I have the same CPU & mobo, and am running @ 4.12 ghz. /shrug

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:33 am

Yeats wrote:
Nice anecdote. You haven't actually given us any info that we can use to help you, though. Do you want help, or just looking to stir things up?

Wait, actually you did give us something: "I also have some strange USB anomalies where it doesn't recognize Anything plugged into after recovering from sleep, and a strange audio blip that pops up every 30 or so minutes." Sounds like a possible motherboard issue?

I have the same CPU & mobo, and am running @ 4.12 ghz. /shrug

I'm mainly just complaining. Don't have the time to work with my machine intensively at the moment. I'm just using stock settings right now.

Since putting the machine together I haven't changed any hardware or any major software. I wouldn't be surprised if my mobo was the issue though, that is my luck.

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:05 am

It's the motherboard. While cpu's can "wear out", its really only from absurd overvolting or really terrible cooling. No, my #1 suspect is your power supply. #2 would be the power phase's on the motherboard. The "over time loss of speed" hints at Capacitors going bad, or a heat related issue.

As for the usb noise and audio clicks. that's your pci puss not being in buss master mode, and or your pci or pci-e buss running more than 34mhz / 104mhz. you need to set the pci buss to a fixed 33mhz and the pic-e bus to 100mhz fixed.

gluck!
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:59 am

maxxcool wrote:
It's the motherboard. While cpu's can "wear out", its really only from absurd overvolting or really terrible cooling. No, my #1 suspect is your power supply. #2 would be the power phase's on the motherboard. The "over time loss of speed" hints at Capacitors going bad, or a heat related issue.

As for the usb noise and audio clicks. that's your pci puss not being in buss master mode, and or your pci or pci-e buss running more than 34mhz / 104mhz. you need to set the pci buss to a fixed 33mhz and the pic-e bus to 100mhz fixed.

gluck!

AMAZING, THANKS! I'll implement that right away soon as I'm home from dinner tonight. This was originally a give up flame thread of me conceding to my computer. The CPU temp is perfect no matter what way I check it this is the coolest CPU I've had, could be the noctua cooler I have on it though :roll:

Resolving the USB port issue would be huge, its really annoying to unplug my mouse and keyboard whenever recovering from sleep(2-3 times a day)