Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

GPU OC - how much is too much?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Do you mind answering a few basic questions for me re: GPU Ocing? Thanks!

GTX 470. Driver ver = 301.42

1. Is there any reason not to use the NVIDIA Control Panel? I know there are GPU OCing utilities - do I really need one just to raise the clock(s) speed and maybe increase the fan speed?

2. is OCing a GPU the same as OCing a CPU in that the main concern is Temperature? If it stays under whatever is recommended for the particular GPU...can I consider it a safe OC?

3. the fan. There are 2 choices in the Control Panel, Auto and Manual. The default for Auto is 40% and it's non-negotiable (grayed out). Does setting it to Manual mean it constantly runs at 50% (or whatever i set it to)? If noise isn't a concern can I set it even higher and not worry about ruining the thing? I already got my money's worth out of this card so I don't mind "pushing it" a bit if necessary.

In the control panel I raised the 2 clocks by 10% - what NVIDIA calls the "graphics clock" and the memory clock. I also set the fan to Manual. There seems to be no way to set it to Auto using a higher % rpm. At 50% my normal workload produces temps around 70C. Once in awhile a 75C but generally 60-70C. The main programs I use that give the GPU a workout are Premiere Pro, C4D and AfterFX.

My motivation for OCing the GPU is to increase the memory bandwidth, which supposedly is what the Adobe apps thrive on. The GTX470 default is 133MB/s. With a 10% OC it goes up to 147.4MB/s. I can't say I've noticed a difference but I just like the idea of OCing this card. Everybody talked about how hot the GK100s ran, esp the 480 but I seem to have some headroom on this card; maybe not under a stress-test but using my normal workflow so far so good.

Thanks you guys. I appreciate any thoughts or advice you can share.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: GPU OC - how much is too much?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:18 pm

I've never successfully gotten nVidia's control panel to apply an OC for me on reboot. Maybe it's just me. But that's why I use MSI AfterBurner, which is really just a skinned version of RivaTuner.

Auto might set the slider to 40%, but it's really a temperature-controlled fan speed. Unless you're trying to get the GPU temp down lower and can live with the noise, you might as well leave it be. If it's getting really hot, auto will crank it up anyway.

But if your'e really looking for more memory bandwidth, why not just try to turn up the VRAM without adjusting the GPU? Then you can see if that theory plays out. You may find you don't want/need to turn up the GPU clocks at all.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

canoli
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Re: GPU OC - how much is too much?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks dF - I will put the fan back to Auto then. I assumed on Auto it would never go above 40% - glad to know I was wrong.

re: "why not just try to turn up the VRAM without adjusting the GPU?"

you mean just crank up the "Memory Clock" and leave the "Graphics Clock" alone....?
(sorry these names drive me insane...from one manufac to the next I can't keep track!)

curious - why is it better to just increase one and not both? Without knowing any better I was thinking I'd just crank up both till the displays went haywire or I get a BSOD. But I suppose it's not as simple as that...?