Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

lazy_boy
Gerbil
Topic Author

H60 Corsair Hydro

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi i'm planning on buying the Corsair Hydro H60 however i want to install a second fan on the other side to pull heat away since the fan it coms with is for pushing cold air in so my question is does the H60 come with extra set of screws or do I buy them myself and if I do how much exactly do they cost? Thanks

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Re: H60 Corsair Hydro

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm

I'd say that another fan is unneeded (I own a H60). you set the unit up that it is exhausting from inside case to out with the air passing through the radiator.

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:35 am

Arvald wrote:
I'd say that another fan is unneeded (I own a H60). you set the unit up that it is exhausting from inside case to out with the air passing through the radiator.

For the life of me I can't understand what fit of insanity made Corsair recommend setting the fan up to suck in air from outside to blow through the radiator. All that happens is that the dust gets sucked in, clogs up the radiator and your temps go up and you have the fun and games of digging all the gunk out every couple of months or so.

I have the H80 and the first thing I did was replace the fans that came with it for Noctua fans.

The whole thing has been running 24/7 with stable temps on my Core i7-990x for 939 days 13 hours
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:30 am

I run an older, double-width H70 with CoolerMaster SickleFlow fans. My thoughts on the reversed orientation Corsair recommend echo Nec's. Unless you have a kick-ass exhaust on the top of your case that can expel all that warm air quick-smart, turn it around and let your front intakes do the hard work. You should put something like a DemCi (sic?) filter over the top, even a piece of flywire, if you do want to use your radiator as an intake, but they do get pretty messy over time, and they are a prick to clean.

I've been very happy with the unit itself, though. The stock fans pushed a lot of air but were too noisy - so they went, but the radiator and pump so far are faultless.
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:48 am

juzz86 wrote:
I run an older, double-width H70 with CoolerMaster SickleFlow fans. My thoughts on the reversed orientation Corsair recommend echo Nec's. Unless you have a kick-ass exhaust on the top of your case that can expel all that warm air quick-smart, turn it around and let your front intakes do the hard work. You should put something like a DemCi (sic?) filter over the top, even a piece of flywire, if you do want to use your radiator as an intake, but they do get pretty messy over time, and they are a prick to clean.

I've been very happy with the unit itself, though. The stock fans pushed a lot of air but were too noisy - so they went, but the radiator and pump so far are faultless.

I have the CoolerMaster HAF X chassis with two 200 mm fans venting out the top, a side 200 mm fan sucking air in and a 200 mm fan in the front sucking air in. I have the PSU turned so that the air is being sucked out of the chassis and inside I have a 120 mm fan (shunted down to run slower) attached to the hard drive enclosure to whirl the air around. The loudest fan is the little sucker in my XFX Radeon HD 5770 but it is not really noticeable. However I am going to upgrade to a Sapphire HD 5870 2GB with the dual fans and one of the main reasons is to get the box running almost silently.
CoolerMaster HAF X, i7-990x, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 24GB Corsair XMS, Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X, Corsair Neutron 128GB, 3*Seagate HD (3TB), Seagate HD (1.5TB), Hitachi HD (2TB), Plextor DVD + BluRay, StorageWorks DAT 72, 29160 SCSI Adapter, Corsair H80

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:29 am

Nec_V20 wrote:
juzz86 wrote:

I have the CoolerMaster HAF X chassis with two 200 mm fans venting out the top, a side 200 mm fan sucking air in and a 200 mm fan in the front sucking air in. I have the PSU turned so that the air is being sucked out of the chassis and inside I have a 120 mm fan (shunted down to run slower) attached to the hard drive enclosure to whirl the air around. The loudest fan is the little sucker in my XFX Radeon HD 5770 but it is not really noticeable. However I am going to upgrade to a Sapphire HD 5870 2GB with the dual fans and one of the main reasons is to get the box running almost silently.

Nice bud, that's a heck of a lot of air. To drag this off-topic for a bit (hehe), I'm currently running a HAF XB with the rad setup in the back 120 hole exhausting, two Gentle Typhoon 1850s sucking at the front, and a **** little CoolerMaster 80mm exhausting at the bottom for some movement around the SSDs. Got a custom Arctic Cooling unit on my 6990, which is by far the noisiest bit of the rig, and it's quiet as a mouse compared to the racket of the stock blower this thing had. My PSU sucks from the outside. Plans are to put a 240mm rad in the front with a block for the GTX 690 once it turns up. I'll have just enough clearance for one. I really like the look of the (new?) SilverStone TD02 Tundra radiator, so I might cut one of those out and make a custom loop from it. Did something similar with an old CoolIT Domino ALC (rubbish) a couple of years back on a 775 rig, came up a treat.

I attempted pursuing silence for ages, until I realised that I just like buying gear that runs hot ;) Now, 'quiet' is my new goal hehe.

EDIT: To answer the original question (sorry), no you won't get additional screws bud. The unit you're looking at is a single-width design, but it does appear to have a second set of mounting holes on the opposite side so can take a second blower. Just grab a second fan and use cable ties until you can measure the screws :)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:47 am

I recently transplanted my 2½-year old H70 into a new build. I've got it mounted to blow out of the TJ08-E with a pair of new Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans.

I had a second Corsair Hydro H70 on a Phenom II X4 that suffered a pump failure after just a few months.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:38 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I recently transplanted my 2½-year old H70 into a new build. I've got it mounted to blow out of the TJ08-E with a pair of new Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans.

I had a second Corsair Hydro H70 on a Phenom II X4 that suffered a pump failure after just a few months.

I've gotta say that even though I've been lucky with my Corsair stuff, there are enough quality issues floating around to always make me second-guess before purchasing. Doesn't stop me of course, but there's always that niggling little doubt. Still, same can be said for the majority of manufacturers today. I had a lot of trouble with DDR RAM from Corsair in earlier builds, when they first started shipping with heatspreaders. Lots of faulty sticks out of dual-channel kits. Then DDR2 hit, RAM got cheap and it didn't really matter. I'm running 16GB of Vengeance currently, and it's been very good.

As for Noctua, I know they get a good rap everywhere, but I find their fans pretty over-hyped. Heatsinks are fantastic (the C-series especially), but at thirty bucks a throw over this way, there are better performing (on all fronts) fans to be had much cheaper. Alright for you guys Stateside, who get all the good deals ;)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm

I waited for deals to get my Noctua fans for $20 to $22 each.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:57 pm

You could just get the H80i and not have to buy another fan. It's only about $20-$25 more I think. I find the fans to be very quiet and my system runs nice and cool. Even though it was a little buggy at first, the Corsair Link is a nice feature too.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:05 pm

RickyTick wrote:
You could just get the H80i and not have to buy another fan. It's only about $20-$25 more I think. I find the fans to be very quiet and my system runs nice and cool. Even though it was a little buggy at first, the Corsair Link is a nice feature too.

Even the original H80 (which replaced the somewhat buggy H70's) was rated one of the quietest high-efficiency coolers when set to 'low', which is still more than most sanely overclocked CPU's needs. The Corsair Link system is intriguing though.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I waited for deals to get my Noctua fans for $20 to $22 each.

That's not too bad. Here's some local prices for me. These guys are fantastic, and usually on the ball with (Australian) prices:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_413

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:08 pm

juzz86 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

I've gotta say that even though I've been lucky with my Corsair stuff, there are enough quality issues floating around to always make me second-guess before purchasing. Doesn't stop me of course, but there's always that niggling little doubt. Still, same can be said for the majority of manufacturers today. I had a lot of trouble with DDR RAM from Corsair in earlier builds, when they first started shipping with heatspreaders. Lots of faulty sticks out of dual-channel kits. Then DDR2 hit, RAM got cheap and it didn't really matter. I'm running 16GB of Vengeance currently, and it's been very good.

As for Noctua, I know they get a good rap everywhere, but I find their fans pretty over-hyped. Heatsinks are fantastic (the C-series especially), but at thirty bucks a throw over this way, there are better performing (on all fronts) fans to be had much cheaper. Alright for you guys Stateside, who get all the good deals ;)

I have to say one selling point for me with regard to Noctua fans is their steadfast "Phuque Queue" to all the reviews criticising them for their colour scheme. With regard to reviews I quite often have the feeling that the person writing it should spank his/her inner moppet and get over their petty selves.

In my experience the Noctua fans do what it says on the tin. They shunt air, are quiet and they stay quiet - for years.

Now if anyone can point me in the direction of a fan which does ALL of these things better than Noctua fans then I am open to suggestions.

For my main systems over the course of the past three decades I build something then have it running for four or five years 24/7 and replace it entirely when it starts falling behind badly with regard to performance. I'll mainly add bits on over the years, but if an upgrade comes along at a price I can't say no to (like the upgrade from my i7-965x to i7-990x) then I will go for it. Otherwise all I want to notice is what is on my screen and not have to pay attention to what is in my chassis.

It's an anathema to me to HAVE to open the case to replace something because it is faulty. It is irksome, it is annoying and the manufacturer of the part that necessitated it can count on my not considering their products for years to come and also not recommending their products to anyone else seeking my advice - I tend to bear grudges.

ASUS went through a cycle like that and I did not take any of their motherboards into consideration for about a decade. I switched to Gigabyte mainly and the hundreds of systems I either built or recommended the specs for did not have a single ASUS board in them.

Over the decades what has cheesed me off the most is fans. You put them into a system and they are nice and quiet and a few months later they make a bloody racket. I then switched to Noctua fans and my system (which sits on a table beside me about a foot and and a half from my ear) has been unnoticeable now for 940 days 7 hours of 24/7 operation. In building systems for other people, if they have said to me that they are not willing to fork out for Noctua fans then I will not take any responsibility for the system remaining quiet and if it becomes loud then they can fork off, I will charge them for replacing the fan they chose over my recommendation. I have not had to replace one Noctua fan yet.

There are a lot of "penny wise and pound foolish" people and I refuse to pander to them.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:12 pm

You want a fan to stay reliable and quiet? Use a filter.

I have yet to convince myself to pay for Noctua fans (though I've wanted to); I've gotten great results with Scythe S-Flex before, but there are many, many good fans out there, and there are very few (if any) real reviews.

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Airmantharp wrote:

I have yet to convince myself to pay for Noctua fans (though I've wanted to); I've gotten great results with Scythe S-Flex before, but there are many, many good fans out there, and there are very few (if any) real reviews.

To get back on topic, the fans that originally came with my H80, I turned them on once and then I binned them (actually I have given them away to a couple of friends who had their fans break down on them) because they made an annoying sound.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Nec_V20 wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

To get back on topic, the fans that originally came with my H80, I turned them on once and then I binned them (actually I have given them away to a couple of friends who had their fans break down on them) because they made an annoying sound.

Agreed. I ran the stock fans that came with my H70 for a while, and even in tandem with the analog controller on the Graphite 600 they were in, they were hard to noise-control unless they were right down, which was where they spent the majority of their time. They have a more noticeable whine, like a coil squeal, at lower speeds than some other fans I've tried. I don't mind air noise, but as the machine is so close (on a cabinet beside the desk) I try to minimise motor noise as much as possible. Or just turn the speakers up :)

The SickleFlows I've got at the moment are a leaps-and-bound improvement. I tend to scoop up fans in packs when they're on sale, either through eTail or eBay. I got three Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850s a couple weeks back for thirty bucks on eBay.

At the end of the day though - whatever floats your boat. And NEC I agree with you on a lot of points - I won't ever personally recommend anyone buy anything MSI for similar reasons to your aversion to ASUS. Every time I used to touch something MSI from Socket 370 to 775, it would turn to rubbish. That's scared me off the brand since. Same with Western Digital. Personally, I think the colours of Noctua fans wreck a tidy build, but that's just me.

I'm liking that this is a forum where people can actually discuss their likes and dislikes without getting flamed to the poohouse. I should've joined a lot earlier :)

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 pm

...you just complained about the aesthetics of Noctua fans wrecking a clean build after buying fans with translucent blades and LEDs :o

*It really, really is 'to each his own'. Recommending enclosures runs into similar problems; for instance, I prefer NO lights. I have the BIOS set to turn the power light off on my system for that specific purpose. I think the only thing in the system that glows is the stupid X-Fi label :).

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
...you just complained about the aesthetics of Noctua fans wrecking a clean build after buying fans with translucent blades and LEDs :o

*It really, really is 'to each his own'. Recommending enclosures runs into similar problems; for instance, I prefer NO lights. I have the BIOS set to turn the power light off on my system for that specific purpose. I think the only thing in the system that glows is the stupid X-Fi label :).

Hehe, my mistake. I did forget to mention that the ones I got are LED-less. No 'bling' in my builds these days :) I just keep all the cables out of the way and let the bits speak for themselves.

Jason181
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:55 pm

Radiators pulling air in do keep the cpu cooler, and since most cooling solutions are judged based on temperatures and noise, the air-in direction helps with both. I have an H100 and have it venting inward, but then I also have a 3k rpm 140mm venting out because noise isn't a concern (headphones).

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 pm

juzz86,

one motherboard from ASUS was the bane of my professional career back in the day (but not the reason why I went off them personally)

The board was the ASUS P2B and I was Senior German Engineer for Enterprise Disaster-Recovery Tech-Support at the time.

The problem was that it had an onboard SCSI controller (although in SCSI there are no actual controllers, just devices with the highest priority which is ID7 ) and customers were hooking up SCSI tape drives to it. This ended up with them getting Event ID 9 and 11 (SCSI time-outs and failed backups). Almost every day for a time I had at least one person who I had to tell that they would have to add in a separate dedicated SCSI card.

ASUS sold the motherboard under false pretences and the "controller", because of its timings, was only suitable to hard drives (same thing goes for SCSI RAID controllers).

It used to drive me nuts explaining to "IT Managers" that the board they had bought systems based upon with internal tape drives to do local POS backups (for instance) was a pile of crap for the purposes they envisioned and they had to go around and physically augment them with a separate card. For a time every day had its "draw circle, bang head" moment for me - sometimes a lot more than once. :lol: I got all the escalations from the obstreperous ones who would not take the message from an underling and wanted to talk to the boss.

Of course they tried the same game on me, but my direct boss was the Director of EMEA Tech-Support and when I told them that if I put them through then he would talk to THEIR boss and I would be talking to someone else tomorrow who would implement what I was suggesting because they would be fired (and he would because it happened a few times when folks didn't take the hint) it got the job done.

God I HATED that board.

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 am

Nec_V20 wrote:
juzz86,

one motherboard from ASUS was the bane of my professional career back in the day (but not the reason why I went off them personally)

The board was the ASUS P2B and I was Senior German Engineer for Enterprise Disaster-Recovery Tech-Support at the time.

The problem was that it had an onboard SCSI controller (although in SCSI there are no actual controllers, just devices with the highest priority which is ID7 ) and customers were hooking up SCSI tape drives to it. This ended up with them getting Event ID 9 and 11 (SCSI time-outs and failed backups). Almost every day for a time I had at least one person who I had to tell that they would have to add in a separate dedicated SCSI card.

ASUS sold the motherboard under false pretences and the "controller", because of its timings, was only suitable to hard drives (same thing goes for SCSI RAID controllers).

It used to drive me nuts explaining to "IT Managers" that the board they had bought systems based upon with internal tape drives to do local POS backups (for instance) was a pile of crap for the purposes they envisioned and they had to go around and physically augment them with a separate card. For a time every day had its "draw circle, bang head" moment for me - sometimes a lot more than once. :lol: I got all the escalations from the obstreperous ones who would not take the message from an underling and wanted to talk to the boss.

Of course they tried the same game on me, but my direct boss was the Director of EMEA Tech-Support and when I told them that if I put them through then he would talk to THEIR boss and I would be talking to someone else tomorrow who would implement what I was suggesting because they would be fired (and he would because it happened a few times when folks didn't take the hint) it got the job done.

God I HATED that board.

Ah man that would **** me up the wall. At the very least, you had a supportive Manager who knew you knew what you were talking about - without that, your bang-head moments would've been significantly higher I bet! :)

I also appreciate the little tidbits there on SCSI - thankyou. As someone younger who's never really touched it (well, short of pulling some old drives and cards out of decommissioned rigs or rigs I'm updating for others) the part about the controllers interests me a lot, as I just don't understand the hierarchy and never really got the chance to play with it. I remember seeing the odd board pop up with it onboard in a computer magazine ad and thinking 'that'd be cool', but the cost, the cabling and the need for terminators and stuff always kept me away, at least until SATA became the norm (the '86 in my name is the giveaway). Was the P2B a dual Slot 1 board? I may be confusing it with another, I do remember it was around the time the 440BX chipset launched? Not sure, only going off old magazine knowledge here. I read a lot ;)

That said, my love affair with ASUS hasn't always been so, either. In college, we had a stack (around 70) of microATX boxes the other classes used for exercises, and we maintained. Build around Coppermine PIII's on a CUSI-M motherboard. The CUSI's were okay initially, but we had a big glut where it seemed every second machine was blowing electrolytics so we got a grant and scooped up some TUSI-Ms to replace them. In between, ASUS had gone from the SiS 630 E chipset to the 630ET, with probably one of the worst RAM compatibility lists of all time. We had to spend the rest of the grant, which was to go on three nice new Socket A systems for our helpdesk/testbench, on bloody SDRAM. That put me off anything ASUS personally and, later that year, I built my very first PC from entirely my own money - a Socket A 2100+ on a Gigabyte mobo ;)

I've been lucky in my little lifetime. I started with a 486 at home and had it for years, primary school was all Apple IIs and high school went backwards, to 386s the first year, then they got a huge grant and went to PII 233s school-wide. We still could only afford the 486 at home, but I scraped enough together to get her another 8MB RAM one year and a new 850MB HDD a couple of years after. Also was allowed to scoop a SoundBlaster out of the old high school computers as a prize in a spelling comp one year (coolest teacher ever). Got as long a life out of her as I possibly could. My next personal machine was an Aptiva K6-2 533. Quite a jump from the old DX4-100 ;)

Nec_V20
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:26 pm

I also appreciate the little tidbits there on SCSI - thankyou. As someone younger who's never really touched it (well, short of pulling some old drives and cards out of decommissioned rigs or rigs I'm updating for others) the part about the controllers interests me a lot, as I just don't understand the hierarchy and never really got the chance to play with it.

The hierarchy is pretty simple. The highest prioritised SCSI ID is 7 and it goes down to 0, the next highest after 0 is 15 and it goes down to the least prioritised of the lot which would be 8.

You put the fastest devices on the lowest prioritised SCSI ID and the slowest devices (like tape drives) on the highest - but avoid ID 6 like the plague.

The "controller" is just a SCSI device with the highest priority so it will win any contention on the bus. That is if two devices want to access the bus at the same time it is the higher prioritised device that will always win.

That's basically SCSI in a nutshell.