Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

b0nes
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Upgrade to SATA???

Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:41 am

OK, in my system now I have a IBM 60 GB, 7200 RPM, 2 MB IDE hard drive. Everything runs smoothly, but will I notice a difference if I buy lets say... a 120 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB SATA hard drive???

Also, if I were to buy a SATA hard drive. I could install WinXP on it and transfer some things from the IDE drive to it right? like music and misc. files

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:01 am

I recently did just what you are planning to do. I replaced my 60GB IBM 60GXP with a Maxtor SATA 120GB disk. I encountered no problems what-so-ever. I simply used ghost to duplicate the partition(s). WinXP booted up fine afterwards. You might have to rearrange the startup devices in BIOS.

But if you going to do a fresh install anyway, I think you will have to press F6 (I think it is, it says what key on the bottom of the screen) in the beginning of the installation, when it ask you to press the key if you have any SCSI or RAID devices. You will also have to have the SATA drivers on a floppy or perhaps on the other disk, as long as you know where they are, as the install itself does not have support for it. Also, if you are going to leave the 60GB in the system, the rearranging in BIOS is necessary.
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:25 pm

Yup, I just did something similar with my Win2K system last night. Ghosted the system image from a 40GB PATA drive to a 250GB SATA one, removed the PATA drive, and enabled booting from the SATA controller in the BIOS. I did have to run a 'repair' installation afterwards to get it to boot properly, but it is working great now, and all of my files and applications are still there.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Upgrade to SATA???

Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:31 pm

Drunkmonk wrote:
OK, in my system now I have a IBM 60 GB, 7200 RPM, 2 MB IDE hard drive. Everything runs smoothly, but will I notice a difference if I buy lets say... a 120 GB, 7200 RPM, 8 MB SATA hard drive???

Also, if I were to buy a SATA hard drive. I could install WinXP on it and transfer some things from the IDE drive to it right? like music and misc. files

Will you see a difference? Maybe, but probably not. Will you have a newer system that won't (probably) fail as soon? Yep. And it will be quieter too. I don't know which IBM drive you have, but my 60GB IBM is horribly noise. Whereas my 140GB Segate SATA is whisper quite.

Is it worth it? Depends on how much spare change you have.