Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

looking for drive image software

Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:27 pm

Hi experts!
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this topic. It seems that TR should have a generic software category in their forums... just a suggestion.
I am looking to upgrade my hard drive this week with a newer, faster and quieter one (going for the 120 GB SATA seagate ST3120026 8MB). I would like to avoid the headache of re-installing all my nice little bits of crap that I have accumulated over the last year and half since I got my WinXP computer. So, I would like to make an image of the old C:drive and copy it over to the new replacement. I am looking at getting PowerQuest Drive Image 7. I am looking for any other alternatives or advice from people what have experience with this type of software. Alas, I am a drive image noobie! Pointers to help avoid data disasters would be appreciated.

thanks

dave

PS - I am curious how a new imaged hard drive would affect (if at all) my WinXP product activation?
PPS - Tangential question... if i 'copy' over my C:drive with the registry et al, what happens to the registry links etc to programs that were on the 'old' D:drive? Should I uninstall those programs first?

Canuckle
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:13 pm

This link provides such alternatives and some related information.

Disco
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:39 pm

thanks for the info

dave