Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Digloo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

SCSI won't boot on MSI K7N420 Pro MB -- why?

Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:10 pm

I have an MSI K7N420 Pro motherboard that I want to set up with a couple of SCSI drives and load RedHat 9 onto. I have a SCSI adapter with an Adaptec 2940UW controller on it. One of the devices is a Plextor 40x CD-ROM drive; the other is an IBM DRHS 36.4 GB HDD. The SCSI adapter see the drives, and I was able to do a low-level format on the HDD.

However, I cannot get the silly motherboard to BOOT from either of these devices! It just tells me that there is no boot device installed, to install one and hit the Enter key.

I have tried changing every BIOS setting I can think of that might affect this. All three boot devices are set to [SCSI], and I even have disabled all of the IDE support (there are no IDE devices installed, just a floppy).

I'm looking for some help in solving this problem.

Thanks
-David

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:45 am

I believe you have to set the "Boot fom" option for your SCSI CD-ROM/disk in the controller's BIOS, not the PC BIOS...

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:22 am

If you do not set the SCSI bios to boot, it will not matter what you have the bios set to. Do that, and you should be able to boot it with no problems.

Digloo
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:50 am

can you be more specific, please? I thought I had configured the Adaptec controller so it would boot. Perhaps I missed something. Where are these settings?

The one I'm thinking of says to select the BOOT ORDER of the devices. It doesn't matter which order I list the devices in, it won't boot from either of them.

I never saw a specific check-box or anything to enable booting.
-David

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:55 am

In the Adaptec's BIOS (not the PC's BIOS), select the device (be it either a CD-ROM or a HDD), and set the BOOT parameter (or "bootable" or whatever it's named) to YES.[/b]

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:57 am

I have the same card, so you have to go into the boot options and set the SCSI ID of the drive you want to boot off. Then you have to go into advanced options to set the SCSI CD drive booting options.