Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Transfering Basic "Fault Tolerant" disks from NT t

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:51 pm

Transfering Basic "Fault Tolerant" disks from NT to W2Kpro

I was given this link by someone on the subject of transfering Basic "Fault Tolerant" disks from NT to W2Kpro.
http://www.labmice.net/Windows2000/...ynamic_disk.htm
This site has a link down the page titled:
"Moving Windows NT Basic Disk FT Sets to a Windows 2000 Computer"
For some reason, at present, all pages having to do with Basic vs
Dynamic volumes are all unavailable.

I have 4 new 10000 rpm Ultra3 160 SCSI drives and I have put a
stripeset partition down the center of the four to give me a drive that
transfers 100Mb/sec in WinNT. I have a multiboot system and I want Win2K to see it also. Thats the rub. I do not never ever want to "Upgrade" my partitions to the "Dynamic" type. Everything I have read suggests its a proprietary closed solution that no other OS will be able to deal with and may inadvertently break. Also I understand that Dynamic volumes are not portable between PCs. Most finally, the "Dynamic" volume is invisible to NT and other OS's. This is not desirable on my multiboot system.

The gist of what this tech note said is that you can use rdisk.exe in NT
to update the repair information. Now my information is too large to fit
on a floppy. I cannot make a floppy of the disk configuration information.

Instead, this tech note says to update the repair information and then copy the file system._ to another directory and expand it as follows: expand.exe
system._ system Now it gets screwy. They suggest starting up regedit and
going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then it says click on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
key Now it gets screwy because it says "On the Registry menu, click Load
Hive." This is not on the menu there is no hive. WTF are they talking
about? So the idea was to delete a bunch of empty keys which would make
the registry small enough that it could then be saved as "system2" copied
to a floppy and renamed "system" and now you have the disk information to update Win2K so it recognizes the stripset.

Then I have an idea. Why not copy the repair files to another directory and expand system._ to system and then copy it to a larger removable drive. So, I used my MO drive as the "floppy disk". Huzzah! Win2K when asked to update the disk configuration allowed the MO drive as a medium and the disk configuration was updated.

But W2KPro is schizophrenic about this stripset. I see it the right drive letter, label, and size in windows explorer and I can read and write files to the stripset. When I dual boot back to WinNT4 the files are there and intact, except for the invisible swap file. I can put my swap file on this stripset it but it does not show up in windows explorer even though my other one is visible on my original stripset (different drives) which was migrated during installation of W2Kpro. Finally, The disk manager in W2K pro shows it with no drive letter, not a stripeset but with "Healthy (Page File)" on all four volumes of the stripset. Anybody, any ideas?

I've already posted this at 2CPU but so far no help... Thanks guys.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro