Slave/Master Relationships - Compromise HD performance?

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Slave/Master Relationships - Compromise HD performance?

Postposted on Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:46 am

I'm trying this out for the first time and kinda blew my budget on latex and all those whips and chains... oops, wrong forum...

Here we go...

I just installed one of those slick WD80JB's - sure it's quiet and it's cool but I can't say that it's notably faster than my old Maxtor 40gig (7200 RPM).

In fact, with XP installed on both HDs and switching boots back and forth between the two, I would say they performed about the same.

Not that my expectations for the WD were sky-high, but I did expect to notice a difference in boot times and in running certain applications. I've got the WD as master over my old Maxtor, set as slave. The Maxtor is now blank and I plan to use it as my back-up to (hopefully) avoid all those agonizing hours that come in rebuilding data after a hard drive failure.

My question is: Does this set-up drag both HDs down to the "lowest common denominator" or should the performance of both devices be unaffected by the other?
You may be right, but I know darn well you're wrong...
purrybonker
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:07 am

There are two detrimental effects with having drives on the same channel:

1) Both drives cannot operate at the same time. So if one drive is doing something, the other has to wait for it to finish before it can do anything. Unlike SCSI, which has a disconnect/reconnect feature specifically for this purpose. Putting them on separate IDE busses accomplishes the same result.

2) The IDE bus on that channel will run at the lowest speed both drives can support. So, for example, if you have an ATA133-capable board, but you have an ATA66 drive on that channel, both drives will operate at ATA66 speeds.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Dec 12, 2002 10:23 pm

Actually the IDE bus will run at the speed of each drive on it, the bus will not be slowed down by a slower drive. This used to be the case before, but now it does not work that way. You can put a CD drive on the same channel as a hard drive, and they will each get the speed they are rated at.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Return to Storage