Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

terabithian
Gerbil
Topic Author

Merry XMas... Hard Drive transfer

Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:04 am

Just got a new hard drive for christmas, but I'd rather not have to redo everything when I replace my current drive.

Any way I can get around this?
I want to be Robin to Bush's Batman.
-- Senator Dan Quayle

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:08 am

It's quite simple really. As long as your case has room, simply install the new harddrive into a free 3.5" bay. Proceed with installing the harddrive. Format and partion your new drive. Get it to where you can access it in windows and simply transfer everything over. Hope that is what you are looking for. If you do it this way, you can keep using your old harddrive as well, or simply transfer all of your old files onto the new drive. I think I covered it.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

terabithian
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:18 am

I can even do that with Windows itself?
eckslax wrote:
It's quite simple really. As long as your case has room, simply install the new harddrive into a free 3.5" bay. Proceed with installing the harddrive. Format and partion your new drive. Get it to where you can access it in windows and simply transfer everything over. Hope that is what you are looking for. If you do it this way, you can keep using your old harddrive as well, or simply transfer all of your old files onto the new drive. I think I covered it.
I want to be Robin to Bush's Batman.

-- Senator Dan Quayle

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:24 am

Yes, as long as the new drive is recognized in Windows and you can access it, you can simply transfer the files over within windows to the new drive. You of course have to format and partition it first to have it recognized though.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:59 pm

The only catch is that your pagefile probably won't be transferred over... If you're running win9x you can boot into dos and transfer pagefile.sys from the root directory (C: ), then transfer everything else within windows.

Or you can find a copy of Norton's Ghost and do a drive to drive transfer. Either way.

morphine
TR Staff

Norton Ghost

Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:05 pm

Just use Norton Ghost to copy the old partition to the new one. Hassle-free and fast. 'nuff said.

WebHobbit
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:44 am

Ya better use Ghost. Using windows or DOS for an OS transfer is very risky. See here:

http://www.pcguide.com/art/xcopy.htm

The LongFileName Problem is so devastating that I sometimes have a hard time copying my Image Archives (which has a lot of similar long file names in one directory) from one drive to another without using some sort of backup software or Acdsee.