Stuttering with new hard drive, promise ata 100 controller

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Stuttering with new hard drive, promise ata 100 controller

Postposted on Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:20 pm

I just got a new WD 80 gig with 8 megs of cache and a promise ata 100 controller. Ever since reinstalling everything on the new hard drive I've been getting all sorts of stuttering. It's strange I can't watch any kind of video or audio without getting really annoying stuttering. Even just moving my mouse around is really jumpy at times.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be?

specs:
Tualatin Celeron 1.3@1612
Asus CUBX
384 megs of sd ram
Western Digital JB800
Promise Ultra TX2
SB Live Value
Prophet 4500 video
OS - Win 2k w/SP3 and all the latest updates
also newest promise drivers for ata 100 card and newest drivers for all other hardware
Starscream
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:58 pm

I had the same problem with a Maxtor 40gig 7200 rpm a few months ago. All the diagnostics ran fine saying the drive was good and functioning correctly but videos still stuttered. Finally after a great deal of headaches it was diagnosed as a problem with the electronics on the drive rather than the disk itself, a weird problem that made it hard to nail down. A new RMAed drive fixed all the problems.

Try getting some diagnostic programs from WD's website and seeing if you can get an error code off the drive for RMA.

You might also try using a different drive on the Promise controller to see if the controller is the culprit. I have heard that some promise stuff doesn't work and play well with others.

Good luck, I have one of those special ed 80 gig drives in my system and it is sweet.
Generic Ninja
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:41 pm

Well I've run the WD Data life guard tools and the drive checks out fine.

It also runs perfectly when connected to the ata 33 connectors on the motherboard. The only time I get the stuttering is when I hook it up to the promise ata 100 card.
Starscream
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:59 pm

You may want to check the bios and see if the promise card is sharing an IRQ with anything else. I give my promise cards their own IRQ because they do not get along well with others.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sun Dec 29, 2002 6:40 pm

Starfalcon wrote:You may want to check the bios and see if the promise card is sharing an IRQ with anything else. I give my promise cards their own IRQ because they do not get along well with others.

I've tried setting an irq for it in the slot it's in but it didn't help. I've pulled and disabled absolutely everything else I possibly could and it made no difference. I've tried the promise card in all 6 pci slots with only my video card in the agp, and it still acts stupid.
Starscream
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2002 12:02 am

It is also possible that the OC you have is making the PCI bus run too far out of spec for the promise card to cope with. Most drive cards can not handle more than 1 or 2 mhz out of spec, then they start acting really goofy. I would scale back the OC and see if that fixes your problem.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:18 pm

Starfalcon wrote:It is also possible that the OC you have is making the PCI bus run too far out of spec for the promise card to cope with. Most drive cards can not handle more than 1 or 2 mhz out of spec, then they start acting really goofy. I would scale back the OC and see if that fixes your problem.

Well at 124mhz fsb the pci bus is running at 31mhz. I thought that might be a problem at first so I went back to 100 mhz fsb (33mhz pci), no change. I guess I should have mentioned that earlier.
Starscream
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:42 pm

You may also want to see if there is a new bios for your promise card or motherboard. It is also possible that there may be an issue between the card , drive, and motherboard. You may want to check with asus support to see if there are any problems they are aware of.
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:53 pm

Starfalcon wrote:You may also want to see if there is a new bios for your promise card or motherboard. It is also possible that there may be an issue between the card , drive, and motherboard. You may want to check with asus support to see if there are any problems they are aware of.

Both the card and motherboard have the newest bios' available.

I finally gave up on getting that card to work and traded it to a friend for a promise ultra 66 controller. I've used that model card on this board before and it was fine, and this is one is working well now.
Starscream
Gerbil

Return to Storage