RAID Controller cards and Motherboard changes

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

RAID Controller cards and Motherboard changes

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:52 pm

This isn't a fix-me-yesterday question, but a don'**** next year question.

Assume that I'm running Mobo X, with an IDE boot drive containing the OS attached to Primary IDE and a 4 to 8 channel PCI RAID card running a big RAID 5 storage array. Along comes Mobo Y, which will clean my dishes, iron my clothes, improve my sex life, et al. Can I pull the RAID card and put it in Mobo Y (assuming proper RAID driver installation, and boot/OS on Primary IDE) and expect it to read the array as if nothing happened?

After reading the sound card comparison article, my credit card started twitching in my wallet, just asking me to buy the TerraTec card so that I can digi-save my LP collection. My goal is to ensure that the data I create on HDD can be moved from mobo to mobo as I upgrade. Generating multi-GB of information that I'd have to backup before swapping mobos just seems to miss the point of archival storage.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:49 pm

Not a problem. Data on the RAID will remain usable every time. OSes on the RAID will *almost* always remain bootable, but certain mobo switches can leave the OS puzzled trying to figure out how the CPU/RAM/etc connect to the RAID it understands.

OS off the RAID? Sure, the RAID will stay readable every time, so long as you don't **** with the RAID settings mid-move.
Forge
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:04 pm

Thanks Forge. Now all I have to do is to generate the capital for the RAID array.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage