They don't like each other?

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

They don't like each other?

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:26 am

Got 2 drives.. a Maxtor one and a Samsung one. They'll boot on their own when put on Primary Master, either the Maxtor or Samsung, but neither will register when one is on Primary Master and the other on Primary Slave. Anything I miss? Thanks..
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:55 am

The only thing I can think of is the generic DOH! explanation of failing to set the jumpers of the HD in slave configuration to slave mode.

You might also want to try another IDE cable just in case, sometimes those ribbon cables can be very vulnerable to damage and anytime you're trouble shooting drive problems this simple solution might be the culprit.
Generic Ninja
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:43 am

Thanks.. :D that could probably be it, I'll try and fix it in the morning..
*yawn*
etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:35 pm

Had the same problem with my brother in law's system.

For some reason the Sumsung has to be set to master to work properly. So just put the Samsung as your master, and your Maxtor as a slave, and everything should be ok.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran
Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:34 pm

Some harddrives have different settings for "Master" when they're single drive or when there is a slave attached. That is, some drives have a "Master" and a different "Master with slave present" setting.

Double check.
Freon
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:49 pm

Years ago, the jumper settings for Maxtor and Western Digital drives were exactly opposite each other for master and slave. Very confusing.

With newer drives, I get the best results using the "cable select" setting on almost all of my ATA devices.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage