Jumper Shunt for WD Drive

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Jumper Shunt for WD Drive

Postposted on Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:34 pm

I ordered an 80gig 8meg Western Digital from Newegg.com but it didn't come with a jumper shunt, and i need to change the jumpers.

Where can I get a jumper shunt? Radio Shack?
sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:15 am

I'm sure that they would have one as jumper shunts are pretty generic. Your best bet would just to check it out and see. I'm sure that you could order one online, but it seems kind of rediculous for something so small. Heck, if you are feeling adventerous then I am sure that you could jerry rig your own shunt as really all that the shunt does is connect two jumper pins with a bit of metal contact. I know that a screwdriver works, but I'm sure that you would want something a bit smaller and more permanent. :)
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan
eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:33 am

Are you certain that there isn't an extra jumper on the block already?

The drive jumper sizes are pretty much standardized. You should be able to use jumpers from an old retail drive install kit or motherboard parts kit that you might have lying about.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:32 am

If it happened to me, I'd be on the phone to Newegg right away and telling them in no uncertain terms that they'd better make me happy or they'd have a drive coming back postage due.
Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:58 am

As someone else just pointed out, you're already got a spare jumper on the drive itself, just look for a "unused","spare", or similar couple of pins that are shunted with a jumper. Plus, even if you really haven't a spare on that drive, look in your other hard disks, you'll probably find one there.
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

found some

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:06 pm

hey thanks guys. I found a few on some old drives. If i wouldn't have had those I would be up **** creek though.

This is the second time newegg has disappointed me (out of 3 orders). The first time I ordered a GF 4200 and they shipped me an mx420SE lol.

oh well
sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:53 pm

However much as this may come to a shock, I don't really blame Newegg or some supplier for not giving you some spare jumpers. Blame WD maybe for that, Newegg sure didn't take the spares out of your order just for fun.

But what I really meant to say it that a few jumper shunts are such an insignificat thing that you need't put up a fuss with them :). You could nip down to your closest computer store and ask for some, they'll have literally hundreds of them and be happy to give you a handful if you ask to.

Of course, when you really need a jumper, you need one *now*, but I think you get my point. It's a bit like raising hell because of some case-screws :)
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:41 pm

lol yeah. it definitely was the I NEED THEM NOW factor that pissed me off. I had set aside some time to transfer as much as i could from my broken IBM drive, only to find out that my computer wouldn't boot while both drives were connected lol.

Disconnecting (ide & power), Reconnecting, Booting, Rebooting, isn't a very fun task when i'm simply troubleshooting.
sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:23 pm

I have a box of spare things, few hundred screws, jumpers, distances for mobos, etc. If i cant find a jumper i usually pick one off some old mobo that has jumpers that arent bridging anything. Or just borrowing from a cdrom drive if you really need it now, unless you need that for booting on if the drive is pooched.
Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Storage