Compaq spares

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Postposted on Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:34 am

Just on the wild offchance, I don't suppose anyone has any good lines on getting hold of some of Compaq's esoteric spares at sensible prices?
Picked up a couple of Deskpro EN SFF 6350s the other day - P-II/350, integrated ethernet, sound, network, very compact etc - will do nicely as a proxy/mail server for me.
Doesn't have a CD-ROM in it, which though not essential, would be nice.
Takes a special slimline CD-ROM. A special COMPAQ slimline CD-ROM. Part number 314214-001 (and then you need a 314215-001 cable set too). And I'll be damned if I can find them for anything remotely reasonable ... like, the CD-ROM is £62 and the cable set (floppy + ide + cdrom) is another £29. Takes its own custom cable which carries power and data in one.

Point is, the Deskpros only cost £40 each ... I really don't wanna spend >£100 on the CDROM?

Anyone any cunning ideas?
ieya
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:13 am

I'd just do a network install and forget about the CD drives.

http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/network/

You can build a very slick network bootdisk with little to no effort at the above link.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:36 pm

Not that this is my post, but

thanks Ryu!

That link is the one I have been looking for for a long time..... Very helpful
fink
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:26 pm

Likewise. I was wishing I had something like this last week.
murray
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:22 am

Hi,
As mentioned, the CD-ROM isn't essential, it'd just be nice; what I actually did was to hook up the HDD in another PC, and copy the i386 directory to it ... put the HDD back in the DeskPro ... then a bog basic boot floppy was enough to make the disk active and 'sys' it, which was bootable enough to get it going.
'tis just that having a CD would occasionally be nifty, and Compaq's official spares prices are, to be kind, utterly extortionate.
ieya
Gerbil

Return to Storage