Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

dma101
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

ide not responding

Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:45 am

i currently am running on a a7n8x dlx and i am having some problems with the ide when ever i plug my dvd drive ...it dosent work its there on "my computer " in windows but it still dosent read dvds.the only thing i have done was make my current ide cables round by making slits and tapping them(better air flow) whats the deal ???
"I know every thing you just ask the rong questions"

Dran
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:14 am

It's not just you having that problem, and it's not your cable.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10803&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207045

Anyone else reading the T-R forums having this type of problem with an nForce2 board?

dma101
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:19 am

thanks

dma101
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:32 am

ok i thiink i know what the problem is , but how do i flash the firmware ???

Dran
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:31 pm

What do you think the problem is?

If you're referring to your optical drive's firmware, go to the manufacturer's website and locate their firmware update tool and/or latest firmware update. They'll have flashing instructions there.

If you meant the motherboard BIOS, just download the new BIOS, copy it to a freshly formatted boot diskette, and flash it from DOS. Or use the manufacturer's Windows flashing utility. The 8RDA(+) series supports flashing by putting the BIOS on a clean diskette and hitting Alt + F2 at POST, so you may see if yours does as well.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:23 pm

I had a Liteon 52X CDRW on my A7N8X without any issues, so it's not endemic to the drive and board, just some examples. I highly disrecommend rounded cables, though. I had lots of little hard to diagnose problems before, with rounded cables, I went back to flats and everything is dandy now.

If you read up on the ATA specs, rounded cables are a VERY bad idea, as they completely bypass that nice 80wire part of the spec. You might just as well force ATA100 on a 40 wire cable, the corruption probably wouldn't be any worse.

Dran
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:12 pm

Forge wrote:
I had a Liteon 52X CDRW on my A7N8X without any issues, so it's not endemic to the drive and board, just some examples. I highly disrecommend rounded cables, though. I had lots of little hard to diagnose problems before, with rounded cables, I went back to flats and everything is dandy now.

If you read up on the ATA specs, rounded cables are a VERY bad idea, as they completely bypass that nice 80wire part of the spec. You might just as well force ATA100 on a 40 wire cable, the corruption probably wouldn't be any worse.

I also tried two other 80 wire 40 pin cables, both flat, both new and still sealed in their packages. One was a leftover from a HDD purchase, the second was the cable EPoX included in the 8RDA package. The other people in the referenced forums/threads also tried other cables.