Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

DVD player software compatable for 2k

Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:41 am

I upgraded a Sony Vaio RX460 to 2k and there is no software for the DVD player.
I have looked at this from M$ on DVD players in 2k:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;249334

What software would be best for this setup. The MB has a Athlon 1.2GB. I believe the MB is made by Asus if that matters. The DVD player is Sony AFAIK.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:17 pm

Cyberlink's PowerDVD is a great program.

It's available for under $10. The "hardware" that you have to buy with it can be a fan, cable, T-shirt, etc.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:24 pm

PowerDVD is by far the best DVD software that I have run across. The price is right too. :wink:
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

LJ
Gerbil Elite

Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:27 pm

xine is probably the best DVD player i've run across (considerably better than windvd or powerdvd). However, I don't know if there are binaries available for windows, and it would probably be hell compiling with dependancies for windows.

mplayer comes second because it doesn't yet have interactive functionality for the dvd menus (which i hate anyhow), but it does do a very, very good job decoding dvds.

Both are free, of course, and they both also play all other types of video (quicktime, realmedia, all flavors of mpeg4/divx, wmv, etc).

AENIMA
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:41 am

well, I tried getting Xine to play "Frailty" on Mandrake 9.1. boy I must be stupid or something, because that was not easy to set up (im currently dual-booting) so i use some program called Ogles on linux. but of coarse, Im a total n00b to linux. i have to say mandrake 9.1 is probably the most n00b friendly distros out there. PowerDVD is great though, on windows. it runs better than windows media 9 ever will with my nForce2 audio

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:38 am

I did look at Win DVD and Power DVD and found Power DVD better because:

It uses 5% less of the processor, uses 8MB less memory, and has the configuration access right on the front panel (not hidden as Win DVD).
The only thing I didn't like was the capter advanced was harder to use.

This is running 2k BTW.