Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

0oALio0

Mon Mar 11, 2002 12:40 pm

Can anyone recommend a good mini usb hard drive that holds 1GB. I've heard of keyring HD's but i haven't been able to find any. Thanks

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 12, 2002 4:12 am

The only keyring devices I've seen are flash memory, and the biggest ones of those I've found are 256M. I don't know if I'd want a mechanical device on a keyring, if your keys are like mine they take way too much abuse. The only device I've seen about that size that's 1G is the IBM Microdrive and that's not USB, that's CF.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

Derek Andersen
Gerbil

Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:19 am

Well, you can get 1GB USB flash drives, but you won't get much change from $1000 (see http://www.usbdrive.com/products/usbshop.html). Smaller capacity models are certainly cheaper, but you're going to pay a premium over (say) CF cards no matter which size you choose.

A 1GB IBM Microdrive is a bit less expensive; you could probably get one for less than $300. You'd still need a USB CF card reader, but those are quite small and cheap nowadays.

Unless you actually need to have it fit on your keyring, though, a cheap 2.5" hard drive in a USB enclosure is probably a better (read: cheaper) idea. For less than $200 you could have a 10GB hard drive in a USB (or FireWire, I suppose, but that probably wouldn't be what you're looking for) enclosure.

Hope that helps.

Derek Andersen

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Derek Andersen on 2002-03-12 08:23 ]</font>

0oALio0

Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:59 pm

I thought the keyring was just a flashy thing to have (but not for 1000). I'll prolly go with the 2.5" HD suggestion.