Sony BD-5730S Blu-ray burner

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Sony BD-5730S Blu-ray burner

Postposted on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:02 pm

EDIT: No questions here. I just wanted to share my experience with this piece of hardware.

I replaced the DVD-RW drive in my Asus G50Vt-X6 notebook with a new Sony BD-5730S Blu-ray burner this evening. Installation was simple. I powered up the laptop to open the drive with the eject button, then shut it back down and turned it over. I had to remove only two small screws (labeled with a DVD icon) on the bottom of the case, then I pulled the original optical drive out of the slot. I inserted the new drive into the slot and repeated the power up, eject and shut down process to expose the latches for the drive bezel.

I teased the plastic bezels off of the new drive and the original, shaved down one of the latches on the original bezel to make it fit into the new drive, and latched them on. Then I noticed that the original drive had a very small mounting bracket attached to one side and the back with 4 tiny screws. I transferred the mounting bracket to the new drive, slid it into the slot, and re-inserted the original two screws in the bottom of the laptop. Voila! Now I can watch Blu-ray movies on the road and even burn Blu-ray discs if the fancy strikes me (Newegg gave me a free blank BD-R disc with the drive).

I'm contemplating sticking the old slim-line DVD-RW into an SG05 mini-ITX case, but the motherboard that I'd want to install in it hasn't made it to the U.S. yet.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Re: Sony BD-5730S Blu-ray burner

Postposted on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:26 pm

Ok, hold on, wait... what was the question again? :oops:
potatochobit
Gerbil Elite

Return to Storage