Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

NTFS drive

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:41 pm

I have 2 drives on my computer. I'm using one for storage purposes. It's an 60GB formatted under NTFS (a small bit has been devoted to Linux :wink: ) and is set to slave. I'm wondering if I took this HD out and put it into another computer, would the other computer's OS be able detect, read and write on it?

I've heard that if you screwed up an OS partition with NTFS on it and if it had security (like password) in place that there's no way you can get access to the data on the HD anymore. Is this true?
*yawn*

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:59 pm

The problem arises if you have used NTFS's encryption feature. Unless you export the encryption keys to the other system, encrypted files are unreadable.

If the files are not encrypted, you should be OK.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:05 pm

Okie thanks. So this encryption thing would have to be enabled manually, and there's no way I can 'accidentally' enable it unconsciously?
*yawn*

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:09 pm

Encryption is enabled by bringing up the Properties dialog for a file or directory, clicking the Advanced button, and checking the Encrypt checkbox. So yeah, I'd say it is pretty unlikely to happen by accident.

Mime
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:00 pm

It also depends on the OS. As far as I know, everything based on the win9x kernel needs a third party driver in order to read NTFS drives. I'm not sure about WinME since I've avoided it at all costs, but I'd be surprised if it did.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Steel
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:33 am

I had problems once trying to read an NTFS formatted drive when I connected it to a different Win2K machine. The only way I could get around it was to hook the drive up to a computer running Windows NT.

So, I guess the answer to your question is "maybe". Good luck :).