SSD Installation Question

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

SSD Installation Question

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:20 am

Hey all,

So, I am planning on installing a SSD as a primary boot drive in my system, but I had a few questions that I'd like to clear up before I start. I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 7 , and I've been reading that enabling AHCI mode in the BIOS needs to be done before you install the OS. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard. In the manual, it says that I have to add the AHCI drivers to the windows installation so that the OS will recognize the hard drives correctly (after I enable AHCI in the BIOS). I know that this had to be done for XP, but is this still necessary with Windows 7? I guess my question is, what is the chance that Windows recognize my hard drives in AHCI mode if I just enable it in BIOS and then install the OS normally?

Thanks guys!
i5 3570K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | 12GB | HD7850 | 120GB Corsair Force 3 | 2x WD Caviar Black 640 GB | 3x U2412M | P182
Erazor GTX
Gerbil

Re: SSD Installation Question

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:31 am

Erazor GTX wrote:Hey all,

So, I am planning on installing a SSD as a primary boot drive in my system, but I had a few questions that I'd like to clear up before I start. I plan on doing a clean install of Windows 7 , and I've been reading that enabling AHCI mode in the BIOS needs to be done before you install the OS. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard. In the manual, it says that I have to add the AHCI drivers to the windows installation so that the OS will recognize the hard drives correctly (after I enable AHCI in the BIOS). I know that this had to be done for XP, but is this still necessary with Windows 7? I guess my question is, what is the chance that Windows recognize my hard drives in AHCI mode if I just enable it in BIOS and then install the OS normally?

Thanks guys!

Fairly good - AHCI support is fairly rampart now - if it's not working you'll know very early in the process as it wont be able to see your drives, but I believe the installer would still give you a driver setup option anyway
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:53 am

If your drive has a driver disk, Win7 has an option to install the driver (like XP did) before it starts the actual install.

Or you can install Win7 in IDE mode and then enable AHCI later by making THIS registry change.
JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:55 am

Just enable AHCI in your BIOS and have at it. No drivers needed.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to Storage