Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

External bulk storage device shopping

Mon May 21, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm running out of space, both on my disks and in my cases.

Looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148865

Or:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent ... B005IA844G
(the 3TB version)

Does anybody know the difference between these two models? Which one might possibly be more reliable? Do they both use the same drive internally?
Reviews for the second unit seem to be for a model with a different looking enclosure. Perhaps it is simply a cosmetic overhaul.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Re: External bulk storage device shopping

Mon May 21, 2012 6:13 pm

One is model STAC3000102, the other is model STAY3000102. A quick google didn't turn up anything for me, maybe someone else here knows the difference.

The pictures for the one on Newegg don't seem to show any ventilation, whereas the one on Amazon seems to have some in the back. How much that would help, I don't know, but I'd think it would make some small difference in letting some air in.

APWNH
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: External bulk storage device shopping

Mon May 21, 2012 8:21 pm

I ordered the one from Amazon. It's slightly more awesome looking.

This review says it is this drive inside, which means the internal disk is a 5-year-warranty part.

Not bad at all. I don't know what the rationale is for external drives costing less than what they contain, but I won't pretend to complain about it.

...And it appears the other model (the Expansion) has the slightly newer 3TB model drive. Oh well.

Update: Whoa the new drive has 3 platters. 1TB platter! Thats much better than a 5-platter drive. Trying to cancel...

Also. Holy crap 3TB 7200RPM drives are FAST!!! Just shy of 200MB/s. Wow.

Update: Whew, yes the cancellation went through. :) :lol: