Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

bitcat70
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

SSD mounting kit

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:22 am

Hi!
So I took the plunge and ordered the Samsung SSD. This one, however, is just the bare drive. I looked at some options on newegg but most of them have quite a few negative reviews. I'm open to any suggestions, preferably metal ones.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: SSD mounting kit

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:37 am

Assuming you're just trying to make this work in a desktop chassis, the only thing you need is the tray that mounts to the 2.5" drive screws and offers mounting points in a 3.5" bay. You could almost do it with paperclips, so I'm not sure what the negative reviewers are whining about (except maybe the price, I'm not seeing anything on Newegg for less than about $20).

Either of these should do the trick if you have spare screws lying around:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-ADP-BRKT- ... ve+adapter

http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-SDP08 ... ve+adapter
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

bitcat70
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:39 am

Ah, yes, sorry. Forgot to mention that it's going into a desktop. I was looking at this one: Rosewill kit. Most of the complaints seem to be because sometimes the holes on those adapters don't align with the bays properly. Or they use non-standard threads for the screws, especially in the noise reducing bays with rubber grommets. I have a Lian Li PC-7F case that uses screwless 3.5" bays. I just wanna make sure the adapter will work in it. I found this on ebay: IBM kit. Does anyone here have an IBM SSD mounted with that?
Last edited by bitcat70 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:42 am

One of the advantages of SSDs is that they don't have the same mounting requirements as HDDs, which have to be pretty stationary. I've seen pictures of people showing their SSD suspended on rubber bands inside the case that works fine...

So as ludi said, just find an open 2.5" bay if you can, and if not, any 3.5" adapter should work.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:43 am

Actually, found a cheaper one on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817994085

Plastic, but an SSD is so light that it's not a huge deal.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:58 am

My M4 is just sitting on its own in an HDD slot, no kit, no rubber bands and no problems. The stiff USB and power cables, angled a bit, do the job fine. With no moving parts, no issues.

I have broken Bytec kits plastic panels with their screws - both are flimsy - but adequate if you really want 'em.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:26 pm

A couple of pieces of velcro or some adhesive putty works, too.

EJ257
Gerbil

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:33 pm

superjawes wrote:
One of the advantages of SSDs is that they don't have the same mounting requirements as HDDs, which have to be pretty stationary. I've seen pictures of people showing their SSD suspended on rubber bands inside the case that works fine...

I used the 3M velcro sticky tape. Cut a single piece into two halves and stick it to the 3.5" drive tray. I used the 3M because it has that quick release tab you just pull and it comes off with no residue.

morphine
TR Staff

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:43 pm

MacGyver! So glad to see you again!
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(