Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

suicidemonkey
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Windows not detecting RAID =/

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:27 am

Hey guys! Having RAID issues...

I use a RAID 1. I upgraded my CPU to Ivy Bridge and got a new motherboard (P8H77-I) recently. So I reinstalled the OS, installed RAID drivers then plugged in the drives.

Windows 7 doesn't detect either drive... bit worried about the data now =/

Any help much appreciated.. Cheers
i7 4930k @ 4.2GHz | Asus P9X79 LE | Gigabyte GTX750Ti | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Corsair RM750 | Samsung Evo 256GB SSD | Corsair H100i | Fractal Design R4 White Case
Storage: 2x Crucial MX100 512GB SSDs - RAID 0 | 2x Western Digital 3TB HDDs - RAID 1

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Windows not detecting RAID =/

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:49 am

I assume you checked the disk manager to make sure they were active/online?
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:52 am

I assume you're not using this RAID array for your OS, so the steps you need to take are as follows, Apologies if all this seems obvious/patronising to you, I'm don't know how much you know or have already tried:

1) Make sure you have the necessary SATA RAID drivers installed for the H77 chipset, otherwise windows may bluescreen when it tries to boot after a SATA mode change.
2) In the BIOS, ensure the SATA mode is set to RAID, or RAID/AHCI. The H77 RAID functions won't be enabled if you have AHCI or IDE mode set here.
3) On exiting the BIOS, keep an eye out for the RAID configuration screen before you see windows start to load (It varies from board to board, but there's normally a prompt to press somthing like CTRL+R or CTRL+I).
4) From there, see what it says about your RAID volume.

You are looking for "RAID member disks" in the RAID config screen:
If they're detected as foreign disks, you may need to import them.
If you see a degraded volume it means one of the disk isn't working properly (but you should still see the RAID in windows)
If you don't see any disks at all, try panicking! ;)

Google is your friend, otherwise come back here and post what you've got.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

suicidemonkey
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I assume you're not using this RAID array for your OS, so the steps you need to take are as follows, Apologies if all this seems obvious/patronising to you, I'm don't know how much you know or have already tried:

1) Make sure you have the necessary SATA RAID drivers installed for the H77 chipset, otherwise windows may bluescreen when it tries to boot after a SATA mode change.
2) In the BIOS, ensure the SATA mode is set to RAID, or RAID/AHCI. The H77 RAID functions won't be enabled if you have AHCI or IDE mode set here.
3) On exiting the BIOS, keep an eye out for the RAID configuration screen before you see windows start to load (It varies from board to board, but there's normally a prompt to press somthing like CTRL+R or CTRL+I).
4) From there, see what it says about your RAID volume.

You are looking for "RAID member disks" in the RAID config screen:
If they're detected as foreign disks, you may need to import them.
If you see a degraded volume it means one of the disk isn't working properly (but you should still see the RAID in windows)
If you don't see any disks at all, try panicking! ;)

Google is your friend, otherwise come back here and post what you've got.

Thanks for the info. Yep have tried all of the above. The drives aren't detected in the BIOS, in the RAID config screen or by Windows.

Time to panic? :( There's a lot of extremely important data on those drives.
i7 4930k @ 4.2GHz | Asus P9X79 LE | Gigabyte GTX750Ti | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Corsair RM750 | Samsung Evo 256GB SSD | Corsair H100i | Fractal Design R4 White Case
Storage: 2x Crucial MX100 512GB SSDs - RAID 0 | 2x Western Digital 3TB HDDs - RAID 1

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:19 pm

is your old motherboard/computer dead? Can you plug it back in, fire it up, offload the data? Then you can make a nice shiny new array and move the data back.

If not, we'll have to go deeper.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

suicidemonkey
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:34 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:
is your old motherboard/computer dead? Can you plug it back in, fire it up, offload the data? Then you can make a nice shiny new array and move the data back.

If not, we'll have to go deeper.

Yep the old mobo is dead.

I guess it's not possible to pull one of the drives out and plug it into an external caddy or something? I realise it wouldn't be possible with a striped RAID, but as it's a mirrored the data will be intact..?

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Yes, since it's raid 1 you should be able to put one of them in a USB caddy and access it normally.

It's very odd that they aren't showing up in the bios/raid setup, could what killed your old mobo have damaged the drives too?
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

suicidemonkey
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:47 pm

cheesyking wrote:
Yes, since it's raid 1 you should be able to put one of them in a USB caddy and access it normally.

It's very odd that they aren't showing up in the bios/raid setup, could what killed your old mobo have damaged the drives too?

I guess it's possible but the non-RAID drives that were attached to the motherboard are fine so I think it's unlikely.

I'll plug one of them into a caddy tonight and report back.

Thanks for the help :D

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Moving anything other than pure software RAID arrays from one motherboard/controller to another is a dicey proposition. Hopefully you're able to get your data back... and in the future, don't rely on being able to migrate motherboard-based RAID arrays, and make backups of your important data (RAID isn't a backup).

That said, if the drives are not detecting in the BIOS it sounds like something killed the drives.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 am

just brew it! wrote:
That said, if the drives are not detecting in the BIOS it sounds like something killed the drives.

I hate to confirm the bad news, but drives that won't even detect are usually dead.

Your old board is dead, but it would have used a very common SATA controller, most likely ICH10R if it's less than 3 years old, otherwise ICH8R was also extremely common. Assuming the external caddy fails, the next step is to try and find a work/colleague/friend who has an older machine with the same controller as your old board, and see if you can try one of your RAID1 member disks there briefly.

The only alternative is to send off to a data recovery lab where they'll probably transplant the platters into another drive and recover for several hundred dollars.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.