RAID 1 with two 60GXPs

All things storage here: hard drives, DVD RW drives, little wicker baskets.

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Postposted on Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:44 am

So, should I risk it in my main box? I'm tempted, with the RAID 1, to limit the potential for a disasterous failure, but I do run my box 24/7 (and usually with some disk activity at all times).

Thoughts?
Dissonance
TR Staff
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:21 am

The only time I did RAID 1 was when I was brand new at the hospital I used to work at. My boss asked me if I could design a new home computer system for our Trauma chief, to replace the last one that had quit working. Everybody was scared of the guy, and my boss knew the people who were supposed to do that kind of thing would spend more time soiling themselves than building this PC.

Since everybody was afraid of this guy, I manipulated that fear in order to get some nice toys to put into this project, including an ARCO DupliDisk RAID controller and a duplicate DeskStar HD. The hard part was getting all the "legacy" peripherals to work together, but that's another story. Once I was satisfied that I had done my best, I packed it up, took it to the surgeon's house and made sure it was installed properly.

There were no problems until one night, when I got a call. The depressed-sounding voice on the other end led by saying "it won't stop beeping." I had set the DupliDisk to scream bloody murder if the RAID sync was lost, and guess what had happened! It took only a few minutes to silence the alarm for good, and to determine which drive had failed, and the doctor promised to bring in the offending unit the next day.

So I walk into this guy's office, and he reaches into his desk, pulls out an evidence bag, and reveals a WD drive that had been decimated by high caliber gunfire. He said simply "I shut the %#*$@ thing up for good." I noticed right away that it wasn't the same drive, but it was a great gag nonetheless!

The real failed drive turned out to be the one that had shipped with the PC, meaning that had I not done RAID1, I would have been back at square 1, less than a week after I had installed the thing. But thanks to my fateful decision, the whole system kept on working normally, and I looked like I actually had a clue. Was I glad that I had done RAID 1? You betcha!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Speed on 2002-03-20 03:58 ]</font>
Speed
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:23 am

It'd be a nice, safe option IMHO. Saves binning the 60GXP's - unless you would run them non-RAID somewhere else?
Bruce
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:20 am

I run two 75 GXP-15Mb in my FTP/web/file server running RAID-1. Been running 24/7 for the past 18 months without problems. BUT, all the drives are actively cooled. Something that seems to be very important in the lifespan of IBM drives.
fink
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:24 am

I manage more than sixty 40GB 60GXP drives myself. Overall we have close to a thousand of them in active service.

I've had a failure. Yes one drive. The controller board died and the drive stopped spinning up.

Overall we have had some failures, but not enough to cause alarm. I don't really think you have much to worry about, especially if you are going to do RAID-1.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:59 am

Diss:

I'm contemplating doing the same thing (two 60GXP's in RAID 1). I wouldn't go with RAID 1 normally, but with the GXP problems, it makes perfect sense.
Damage
TR Staff
Gold subscriber

Return to Storage